Breaking: One Million Moms Disappears From Facebook

by David Badash on June 1, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Hate Groups,News,Politics

The faux activist group One Million Moms has just disappeared from Facebook, by far its largest social media outlet. Earlier today administrators of the One Million Moms Facebook site posted a “warning” about Green Lantern being rebooted as gay, which they quickly pulled when over one hundred pro-gay comments flooded the post. Subsequently, they wrote a Facebook post stating they would be away for a week, possibly next week, for bible camp.

READ: Exclusive: One Million Moms Deletes ‘Green Lantern Is Gay’ Post After Flood Of Pro-Gay Comments

Then, sometime on the past two hours, the One Million Moms Facebook page disappeared.

It is unclear if the page was taken down by One Million Moms, or by their parent organization, the certified anti-gay hate group, American Family Association, or by Facebook.

The One Million Moms website still has a link posted to their One Million Moms Facebook page as of this writing.

Stay tuned — we’ll publish more details as they become available.

UPDATE: New Civil Rights Movement reader Brian Gryphon notes OMM also tweeted today:

FYI for all of our members that are on Facebook: OMM will be offline most of next week for Vacation Bible School!…

Related:

Breaking: Out Of Nowhere, Shockingly, One Million Moms Is Pissed At JC Penney Again

One Million Moms Furious ‘Beloved Superheroes Will Be Homosexual’

One Million Moms: ‘GAP Should Learn From JCP Mistakes.’ (GAP: We Just Did)

Robroberts2009 June 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I wonder if my repeated posting of what ignorent cunts they are had anything to do with this?

This is SO satisfying, but no doubts these shrews will pop up elsewhere.

Robroberts2009 June 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm

An observation: my comment above was voted down to -1. Looks like OMM is reading this website and somebody got their (loosely fitting) panties in a bunch.

duderino619 June 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Victory!!!

You can thank Reddit for that: http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/ug3pw/on

bgryphon June 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm

No doubt their members/readers contributed, but their claim to be "the ones" that got the page (perhaps temporarily) down is a little grandiose and presumptuous. Many people of various (or no) affiliation have done their part to show the few thousand members of that fringe group just how archaic their views are.

ITGCYS June 2, 2012 at 3:08 am

I think the fact that the OMM page got taken down just hours after Reddit sent out the call to report them for hate speech lends quite a lot of credit to Redditors.

bgryphon June 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

Actually, something happening "within hours" of it being noticed suggests whatever took it down was already happening. Very few companies, even virtual ones, really move at the speed of bitchy queens.

Robroberts2009 June 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm

P.s. I also reported their page for hate crimes to Facebook; perhaps Facebook shut the page down?

louisjmarinelli86 June 2, 2012 at 1:36 am

Pages can be hidden from public view and viewable only be admins with the quick click of of the mouse in the page's settings.

voenixrising June 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Proving once again that these hate groups are COWARDS, like all bullies.

Neketa1 June 3, 2012 at 1:05 am

Please help us, One Million Moms is taking credit for canceling GCB. Please read my blog, then click on the tab"Sign the Petition" help us get GCB back on the air! http://teamgcb.com/2012/05/gcb-vs-one-million-mom

Teammm June 3, 2012 at 1:22 am

Good riddance!

katewait June 30, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I tried to post this in response to another commenter, but it did not appear to go through: _Robroberts: __I support your cause. I am a mid50s heterosexual, long-married with 3 children (you know, a "breeder." Baby, I WAS BORN THAT WAY.) When it is time to vote, I vote for you to have every civil right that I have. In my opinion, you should be able to marry the person you love and enjoy all the perks and miseries that go with it.

katewait June 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm

That being said, I find your comment above offensive. I think you can fight the battle using different language and a different attitude. I never like to see women referred to by the "c" word. I just don't like disrespect in general. In fact, in my opinion it gives the opposition ammunition when you make statements such as the one above. It makes people like me cringe. While you have a right to be angry at being denied basic civil rights, and I support you in your quest, I do not support your right to be downright offensive. Martin Luther King, Jr, fought the good fight with class and made great inroads peacefully and respectfully by stating profound truths that resonated with the majority. I believe it actually sets the cause back when foul and despicable language is used against the opposition, no matter which side one finds oneself.

katewait June 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Please reconsider how you present the message you wish to convey. After following links to get here to read more about this issue, I actually took the time to create an account and logged in, just so I could respond to your posting. I think you shoot yourself in the foot when you post things like this and use hateful language yourself to push back against hate. _Something to think about, anyway….._

katewait June 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I would like to hear your thoughts on what I had to say.
-Kate

nkor16 December 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

Maybe they realized that if they boycotted JCP that they would be hypocrites if they shopped at Neiman Marcus, Kohls, Boston Stores, Lord and Taylor, Most of the department stores out there support LGBT with the excepting of Wal Mart..