BREAKING: Virginia Foxx Issues Second Non-Apology

by David Badash on May 1, 2009

in Bigotry Watch,Discrimination,Legislation,News,Politics

Post image for BREAKING: Virginia Foxx Issues Second Non-Apology

Staffers Under Siege With
Complaints

Just minutes ago, local Winston-Salem TV station WXII12 News released an exclusive interview with embattled Rep. Virginia Foxx, whose malicious comments about the circumstances surrounding the murder of Matthew Shepard have caused scorn and anger, and, according to her office, ten death threats.

Foxx’s newest “apology” demonstrates her lack of understanding of the basic issue confronting her: She lied about why Matthew Shepard was killed, and maligned the memory of a 21 year-old college student who, to the world, has become the face of a hate crime victim.

“In the heat of trying to handle the rule on the floor, anybody can use a bad choice of words. Saying that the event was a hoax was a poor choice of words,” Foxx said. “I’ve apologized for that. I never meant in any way to harm the family or offend the family or anybody else for that matter.”

Hardly a change from yesterday’s statement:

“The term ‘hoax’ was a poor choice of words used in the discussion of the hate-crimes bill,” Foxx said in a statement. “Mr. Shepard’s death was nothing less than a tragedy, and those responsible for his death certainly deserved the punishment they received.”

One non-apology is bad, two demonstrates not only a lack of remorse or decency, but a total lack of understanding of the important and sensitive issues that confront out country.

Another indication?

“It is very unfortunate that these calls have come in. I would say 99 percent of them are from outside the district and it is unfortunate that people have taken this position.”

Foxx is not taking responsibility for her comments, and is playing the victim. “It is very unfortunate that these calls have come in.” Really? Unfortunate? How about saying something like, “I’m sorry for what I said. I have rethought my comments and done more research regarding Matthew Shepard’s murder. I was wrong. His was not murdered because he was being robbed. He was murdered because his killers knew he was gay and targeted a 5′ 4″ one hundred pound gay college student.”

“I would say 99 percent of them are from outside the district and it is unfortunate that people have taken this position.” Again, really? Rep. Foxx is under the mistaken concept that she is the Representative for her district. She does not grasp the fact that she is a United States Congresswoman who may be elected by a portion of the citizens of North Carolina, but she represents every American.

“What I hope my constituents know is that I’m in Washington ever day that I’m required to be there, working hard for them, doing the best to make sure that the federal government doesn’t take away their rights and their money.”

We’re thrilled she goes to work every day. She’s lucky to have a job. Her performance, as I wrote yesterday, is questionable and this situation highlights her poor performance.

Virginia Foxx may not be my Representative, but she represents every American. And her comments and refusal to correct the record have damaged the memory of a young man already dead, have damaged the reputation of her office, and have damaged the perception of America.

Today’s statement by Virginia Foxx is insufficient. It is pitiful, unacceptable, and is the last straw. The time for apologies is over. The time to remove Virginia Foxx from office is now.

See the video and join our Facebook group, FireFoxx: Fire Virginia Foxx.

qmuser May 1, 2009 at 9:34 pm

I didn't think it was possible for one person to be so lacking in remorse and/or clueless that their words are doing such damage. Sad to see that there is such a person in Congresswoman Foxx.

David Badash May 1, 2009 at 9:44 pm

In my experience, Conservatives are far less likely to "give in" or accept the fact that their words have meaning to others. She obviously refuses to accept the facts surrounding the murder of Matthew Shepard, even though they've been proven, even though the case is ten+ years old, she is mired in her, myopia. It is sad, but worse, it is dangerous and offensive. She must resign.

David Badash May 1, 2009 at 11:47 pm

(I left this comment before, but it seems to have disappeared…)
I agree wholeheartedly. In my experience, many Conservatives are unwilling r unable to grasp the fact that their words matter, that ALL words matter. She again apologized for using the word "hoax", but not for ignoring the fact that this was a hate crime.

We need to remove her from office. We need to ensure that come Monday, this issue is not forgotten.

alan May 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I agree whole-heartedly and support the barage of feedback this woman is getting. Also, you have ALOT of typo-s in your post and need a proofer.

David Badash May 1, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Alan, thanks for your comments. I apologize for the typos. Honestly, I hit "publish" prematurely. I am very careful with my words, and detest sloppy writing! I think I fixed everything – feel free to let me know if I missed anything else!

David Simmons May 1, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Virginia Foxx has no class, no decency, and no business representing ANYONE inthe US House, given her demonstrated lack of ability to find and use facts correctly. She obviously failed Kindergarten, since she has no idea how to apologize for her ridiculous comments.

I live in NC. I will continue to work, HARD, for her replacement in 2010. Her time in the House has expired.

David Badash May 1, 2009 at 11:49 pm

David, since you are in NC, could you let us know what the general attitude there is? It's hard to tell from up north! Also, is there anything you can think of that we can do as a group to move this forward? FireFoxx has almost 1000 members, I'm sure there's something a strong, motivated group of people can accomplish!

Mark May 2, 2009 at 10:22 am

Foxx looks like that weird aunt that sometimes comes over for dinner and smells funny.

bjohnm May 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm

I no longer live in the Congresswoman's district, but I spent four years living in Boone, NC while attending college (where she lives), and then lived a few years later in Winston-Salem. Visit the district map on her website, and it will be immediately apparent that this may be North Carolina's second most gerrymandered district. It's set up just for her. Interestingly, she usually loses badly in her hometown of Boone, but the rest of the district is extremely conservative. People have been trying, but it will take a lot to unseat Foxx.

The little influence I can have, since I'm long since gone from that district, is to have a sent a letter to the Chancellor of my Alma Mater (Appalachian State) in Boone. He's frequently quite the shill of Foxx, and she has loads of photos on her website standing with an ASU banner. I've advised him that until he's banned from the campus or is no longer in Congress, I will cease my contributions to the school. (letter at http://deep.mastersfamily.org/2009-04-29/open-let

Probably won't change things, but it's all I could do. I did fax a copy to Foxx's Washington and Boone offices.

Pam May 3, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Why can't college students register to vote at their colleges in NC and prove the power of the youth vote during elections did not end with the Obama election?

bjohnm May 3, 2009 at 6:02 pm

College students can and do register, and that has a lot to do with why Foxx's home county (Watauga and home of ASU) votes against her election after election. However, her district is configured in such a way as to also encompass a large number of very conservative counties in the Northwest corner of the state. While Watauga County is a bright light of progressiveness, they can't counter-balance the overall Republican/Conservative makeup of the entire district.

As one Watauga County voter commented on my blog, "People ask why the folks in her home town don't vote for her, and the answer is, 'because we know her.'"

dbridges May 4, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Um…if there have been death threats, why haven't the capital police commented and started an investigation? From what I understand, even if the threats are to her state office, the calls would be logged and investigated since she is functioning as a U.S. Representative. #fail.