by David Badash on October 16, 2013

in Marriage,News,Politics

Post image for Chris Christie: If I Had A Gay Child I’d Tell Them Marriage Is ‘One Man And One Woman’

Chris Christie says that if any of his four children tell him that they’re gay, he would still tell them that he doesn’t believe in same-sex marriage. The Roman Catholic New Jersey governor, under increasing fire for his staunch anti-gay position, made the comments at the debate last night with his Democratic opponent, Barbara Buono. A supporter of same-sex marriage, Buono has a daughter who is a lesbian.

Christie said he would “grab them and hug them and tell them I love them,” but they would know that “Dad believes that marriage is between one man and one woman,” Politico reports:

“My children understand that there are going to be differences of opinion in our house and in houses all across this state and across this country,” Christie said. He said he would respect voters if they approved gay marriage, but said the decision does not belong to the courts or the legislature.

A New Jersey Superior Court has ruled that the state must allow same-sex marriages to begin next week, but Christie appealed that ruling to the state Supreme Court, which will decide this week if they will “stay,” or hold that decision. The state Supreme Court will also hear the case for marriage equality in January.

Also in January is the deadline for the New Jersey legislature to override Christie’s 2012 veto of their bill allowing same-sex marriage in the Garden State.

Image via Chris Christie on Facebook

ascanius001 October 16, 2013 at 1:41 pm

a truly vile opportunist.

BearFlagCitizen October 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm

If I were a gay kid of Gov. Christie, I'd say, "You can either deal with it, or disown me."

A family who doesn't support a family members commitment to a long-term stable relationship, isn't deserving to be a part of my life. I say this as a person who is currently planning my wedding and made the decision to leave people out of our celebration because they clearly stated their opposition to marriage equality. NO ONE needs that negativity in their life bringing them down.

uppityfag October 16, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I bet if he adopted a child of color he'd also instruct the kid marry within his own race. Does he also insist his children marry others of the same religion? Is divorce strictly banned in family? Does he get to decide what EVERYONE ELSE does?? It's an uphill climb when you deny equal protection of the law.

Derek Warren October 16, 2013 at 4:52 pm

If I lived in the state of New Jersey, I can assure you this man would never get my vote. If you are LGBT and live in New Jersey, make sure you take my advice. This man does not deserve the power that he already has. Don't listen to anyone who tries to convince you otherwise.

James_M_Martin October 19, 2013 at 7:29 am

Yes, but would he tell his gay child to lay off the donuts?

SpectreWriter November 10, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Not sure why he went along with President Obama a year or so back, but this guy has just done an about-face. Not trustworthy, and certainly not the friend of liberty.

He's right though, about one thing: Same-gender marriage isn't something that should have HAD to be voted upon or decided by a judge. It is the inherent right of EVERY person to marry whomever s/he wants, and none of ANYONE's business but the two getting married.

{ 1 trackback }