by David Badash on October 25, 2013

in Discrimination,News,Religion

Post image for Christian Couple’s Tip For ‘Excellent’ Waiter: ‘Queers Do Not Share In The Wealth Of GOD’

A waiter at Carrabba’s Italian Grill in Overland Park, Kansas, got more — and less — of a tip than he anticipated. After serving a Christian couple, the 20-year old waiter was left no cash, but this long note:

“Thank you for your service, it was excellent. That being said, we cannot in good conscience tip you, for your homosexual lifestyle is an affront to GOD. Queers do not share in the wealth of GOD, and you will not share in ours. We hope you will see the tip your fag choices made you lose out on, and plan accordingly. It is never too late for GOD’S love, but none shall be spared for fags. May GOD have mercy on you.”

The server was not named in news reports, which note his mother works as the restaurant’s hostess.

“We embrace diversity and believe in treating everyone with respect,” a statement from Carrabba’s reads.

Fortunately, as word has spread, the waiter has received a lot of support from the community, with patrons stopping by asking to be seated in his section.

Watch this local report from KCTV:

WFSB 3 Connecticut

Bronxboy47 October 25, 2013 at 9:19 am

This has a suspicious smell to it. It seems somebody's looking for a little Facebook publicity. Don't know if it's the restaurant or the"Christian" couple. Don't think I'm saying this out of bigotry, I'm gay and it really does seem suspiciously copycat to me. The note was too calculated.

Bronxboy47 October 25, 2013 at 9:40 am

All I'm saying is it's not wise to take everything you read on Facebook as the Gospel truth. A little circumspection never hurt.

artieadams October 25, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I'm with you. This whole tip shaming thing should be approached with skepticism. I also think it's kind of tragic that you need to have a disclaimer for this opinion.

Bronxboy47 November 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm
McDanel October 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm

They had all of dinner to compose their snotty little (calculated) note. Time to take note of his orientation, decide whether to act, and compose the gist of their remarks. Has a Westboro Baptist feel does it not?

lobo214 October 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

They might actually have the note prepared ahead of time, and use it in other restaurants as well.
Their motivation might be just hate and intolerance or being miserly as well.
If they really believe "It is never too late for GOD’S love,", they should try showing some.

Bronxboy47 October 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm

The note is despicable any way you look at it, but that doesn't rule out its being written to gain Facebook attention.

MiddleGrounds October 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm

While I don't 100% DISAGREE with what you stated, I would have to see the note itself. To me if your going to be posting things like this on a social media site, at least have the evidence to back it up and share the EXIF data to validate it hasn't been tampered with.

Also on one side, the fact that it happened in Kansas, it doesn't surprise me.

Bronxboy47 November 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm
Bart Breen October 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm

A non-real name, that has disappeared claiming to be gay while supporting discrimination …. that's not suspicious at all ……

Bronxboy47 November 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm

My real name, as if it's any of your business, is John Wallach, my screen name is Bronxboy47. Your insinuation, coming from someone with no bio details in your profile, is pretty rich. The claim that I've disappeared is totally spurious, I don't claim to be gay, I am gay, and have been that way since I was five years old. How you arrive at the conclusion that I support discrimination is beyond me.

User2post October 25, 2013 at 9:28 am

Being gay requires you be a non-paid slave to those ugly Christians. Talk about arrogance and hatred, and some people think that's supposed to be part of Christianity?

SeanLiberty13 October 25, 2013 at 9:34 am

Ingrates.

nateklarfeld October 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

I used to live and work in Overland Park, KS back when sanity ruled. Now that Gov Sam has turned it into BrownBackistan with the Christian Taliban in force. (We are THE religion) I can only hope that the businesses that moved there in the 80's (Sprint, TransAmerica, North Face) get the Hell out and move to a more intelligent creative space. Proud to be an EX-Kansan here.

rockymissouri November 14, 2013 at 7:06 pm

But if all you wonderful and decent people leave, that means for certain that the bullies will take over….!!

Robroberts2013 October 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

Pretty ironic as gays on average earn higher incomes, and without the burden of shitting out chikdren like the Duggar family they have much higher disposable incomes. i just love when white trash pseudo Christians try and hide their hate and ignorence behind their false religion and delusional diety. Keep it up "Christians" you are doing a wonderful job turning everyone away from your hateful cult.

BJLincoln October 25, 2013 at 10:36 am

I don't think we earn higher incomes anymore than the general public. In fact I think we earn less because of the risk of being fired or not hired at all. I do agree with the rest of your statement.

65snake October 25, 2013 at 11:23 am

I think the perception comes about because SOME do. Men generally make more money than women for the same work, so two men have a better chance of having a higher combined income than a man/woman or woman/woman couple.

midwest_lawyer October 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

That's a common misconception:

youngmumpster November 19, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Did you ever consider that by delivering backhanded insults to the Duggars and insulting all Christians because they happen to be Christians, and whose children you neither have to raise nor your money support, you're no better than those who insult innocent individuals for their sexual orientation? It works both ways. If you want more love in the world, perhaps you should begin by showing some yourself.

mjsimmons October 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

So it looks like the "Christian Couple" queered the deal with this attempt at shaming. You know I am beginning to agree more and more with Mahatma Ghandi- I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

purepatriot October 25, 2013 at 10:59 am

I know people keep saying they were a Christian couple, but judging by the fact that they skipped out on the tip, its much more likely they were actually Jews

stevefah October 25, 2013 at 11:09 am

Nice (I won't say "racist," because there is no race called "Jews") religionist comment. You're just as ignorant as the people who left the note, "purepatriot"!

barbonine October 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

Presumanably this is what passes for "humor" amongst you and your ilk. Nasty, small-minded, meanspirited humor.

Now make a joke about Indian givers and gypsies why don't ya?

foxymoxy73 October 25, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hate much there buddy? The comment in the article is just as intolerant as your comment just now and should be treated the same way. Try reading the Bible again and focus on the parts that talk about how we're ALL created in God's image and the parts about Loving Thy Neighbor.

rockymissouri November 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Now, that sucks…..

sdfrenchie October 25, 2013 at 11:58 am

At least this restaurant handled the situation far better than the one in Tennessee where the African American received a nasty tip much the same, but insulting her by use of the "N" word (how I hate that term that grew out of smoothing out words used by bigots!) on their credit card receipt where the tip should have been. The girl, a student nurse working her way through college, was put on leave with pay instead of her employer jumping to her defense as this one did.

In response to Bronxboy47's comments here, if you are truly a Bronx native, you live in one of the most diverse areas in the world. These circumstances exist outside New York City's five boroughs and they are growing in nature daily. Sure, this smells like a copycat act and there's little doubt that the author of that note to the gay waiter (I am too, by the way – not waiter – but gay) was a copycat version of the receipt given the girl in Tennessee. Ideas for abuse spread quickly throughout the world of bigotry and in recent years the bigots have become more and more blatant with their good ol' boy rhetoric.

Bronxboy47 November 28, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Yes, I am Bronx born and bred, but long since transplanted to Southern California. My screen name is an indication of what some would call an inordinate pride in my birthplace.

All I did was suggest a little circumspection should be exercised before believing everything you read on the Internet. I've been caught with egg on my face one time too many, and was just trying to be helpful. In this case it seems my suggestion was appropriate. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Gay-Server-T

SandburOkie October 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Abusive Christians seldom follow the teachings; in this case:
James 5.4-5
Listen! The wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in pleasure; you have fattened your hearts on a day of slaughter.

omtgf October 25, 2013 at 1:18 pm

The nerve and self-righteous indignation that many so-called 'Good Christians' have "is an affront to God"! To much hate in the 'world of Christians' that make it seem okay to blast this poor soul, who is working hard to support himself, and negatively impacting his life in such a way is ridiculous, preposterous and downright blasphemous!

How dare you put words in God's Mouth! Who died and made YOU Jesus Christ?! "Love thy neighbor" is taught in church, along with the Ten Commandments, which are a guideline for keeping yourself right with God. No one, from any walk of life, should have to endure this kind of hate-filled ridicule for doing an "excellent job" at work! Lambasting someone for his gender orientation is like hating on someone for being left-handed or near-sighted! These myopic misanthropes need to recheck themselves for bigotry, prejudice and hate, before even setting foot in another Carrabba's or any other establishment where members of the LGBTQ community work, seek entertainment, eat out (pun intended) and enjoy themselves– just like every other American– Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, in all of their forms! Not just one type of people: ALL PEOPLE!

I am impressed with Carrabba's handling this situation in the fashion it has. I would be proud to eat at Carrabba's from now on! Thank you for being so considerate and caring in the face of hatred and fear-mongering! Carrabba's, you did the right thing!

Rick Ladd October 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm

If this is true, it implies they have highly tuned "gaydar", does it not? Wonder where that skill comes from?

okidoll821 October 25, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I'm not one of those people that act like I will speak for God, but something tells me that Christ does not enjoy being associated with hateful people like this.

barbara4tech October 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm

"Christians" who too easily notice a persons gayness, in my opinion often do so because they live in a state of conflict with their own deeply buried homosexual interests. So, when we see these kinds of incidents, you're seeing a neurotically delusional person trying to use religion to defend their own self image against their inner demons. It's a pitiful state to be in, and these so called Christians are actually advertising their own twisted inner natures. True religion brings out what is beautiful and good in a person, not what is ugly and hateful.

SandburOkie October 25, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Abusive Christians seldom follow the teachings; in this case:
James 5.4-5 NRSV
“Listen! The wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in pleasure; you have fattened your hearts on a day of slaughter”.

agmom04 October 26, 2013 at 3:58 am

I am acquainted with the people from Carraba's and there seems to be no way they are behind this. The only thing that makes me question the note is the use of the words "queer" and "fag". Most Christian zealots wouldn't use those terms. They'd simply use the word homosexual. Either the kid made this up or some really ignorant bigots hid behind religion to make their opinions know. Who knows where the truth lies, but I don't believe the Carraba's powers that be had anything to do with it.

labman57 October 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I always have to heave a sigh and roll my eyes whenever self-proclaimed Christians indignantly declare that homosexuality and gay marriage defy "the word of God". This argument is both cowardly and disingenuous — using biased interpretations of cherry-picked biblical passages to justify their brand of social intolerance and religious self-righteousness.

Socially-regressive Christian conservatives will always contend that homosexuality is a choice. Rational discussion is pointless. They HAVE to maintain this point of view, because the alternative — the idea that homosexuality is a congenital, perhaps even genetically-based behavior — would mean that God made gays the way they are. Which would imply that to condemn homosexuality would be to condemn God's will.

It's enough to make their narrow-minded heads explode.

Bottom line: the problem with many Christian conservatives is that they are long on self-righteousness and short on selflessness, long on callousness and short on compassion, long on intimidation and short on tolerance.

holdnat29 October 28, 2013 at 12:43 am

To all of those who think that this is fishy. It might not be. I work in SC and this does happen. I've had guests come in and request other servers because the waitress was black. Actually last week we had one couple come in and sit in a servers section, she was black. They requested to be moved so we did (not knowing at the moment why). The next server is also black. They sat there for a few minutes and then decided to leave. On their way out they asked the white hostess if she was able to wait tables that day. She told them that she wasn't. They told her that they would have to leave. We have had these so called Christians leave messages on their check that they give money to the Lord so they do not have to tip. They have left their little "God Loves you" flyers with different references on them. One was about homosexuality. And the funny thing was the server is straight. So yes, it does happen. Bigotry is alive and well here in SC.

Bronxboy47 November 28, 2013 at 2:37 pm
rebahicky October 28, 2013 at 10:18 pm

This makes me so mad, Im a Christian, and never in a million years would I write a note like that, these people must be from that crazy church, that condemns everybody for everything they can think of….God is the only on who has the right to judge, he loves his children Gay, not gay, whatever color! These people are just plain ignorant!!

annarather November 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I can not believe the bigotry of these "christian" people in the year 2013. People who treat others like this, and then call themselves "christians" make me want to barf. I'm very happy I'm not religious, can think for myself, and don't treat people horribly, like these idiots. GO NON-RELIGIOUS PEOPLE!

Bronxboy47 November 28, 2013 at 2:39 pm

But you do believe what you read on the Internet. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Gay-Server-T