Cops Handcuff, Remove 13 Year Old White Girl From Her Black Guardians

by David Badash on December 2, 2013

in News

Post image for Cops Handcuff, Remove 13 Year Old White Girl From Her Black Guardians

Did Houston police illegally arrest three teens? Landry Thompson is 13 years old, white, and a dancer. She was traveling from her home in Oklahoma to Houston, Texas, with her dance instructors, who are both Black.

Thompson’s mother had given them a signed and notarized letter giving full guardianship and custody to dance instructor Emmanuel Hurd, for their trip to meet with other dance teachers. But Houston police managed to handcuff the teens and wrest the girl from her guardian — and hand her over to Child Protective Services.

Hurd told KHOU that the three dancers where parked at a gas station, and “were on the GPS trying to figure out where the hotel was.” That’s when the cops “just pulled us out of the car and put our hands behind our backs like we were criminals.”

“The officer asked me ‘who’s the girl?’ and I said ‘she’s my student,’” Hurd says. “I told him I had a notarized letter from her parents stating that we have full guardianship over her while we’re here.”

Not only did Houston police detain and handcuff Thompson and Hurd, but they removed the teenaged girl from her guardian and gave her to local Child Protective Services. Police “put handcuffs on me and it really scared me,” Thompson says. “And they put me in the back of a cop car and I was terrified.”

Cops initially demanded Thompson’s mother travel from Oklahoma to Houston to retrieve her child, but later allowed her to be released back in Hurd’s custody.

“She was with the people I wanted her to be with,” Destiny Thompson says. “She was with people I trusted. And now she was taken away from those people and in a shelter with people I didn’t know.”

Hat tip: The Raw Story

Diane December 2, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I just watched several hours of shows on msnbc about sex slaves and from what I read these three, unfortunately, fit the profile of traffickers and their slaves. I'm not condoning the way Houston PD handled it, but I can certainly see why the three caught their attention.

Indygrrl December 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm

What? The "profile" is that white teenage girls are always trafficited by black teenage boys? Many trafficers that have been caught are white adults, both male and female.

Diane December 9, 2013 at 12:23 am

And many caught are not white..what's your point? These guys were adults not teens and she was 13, wouldn't that make you notice them? If the police ignore them they're not doing their job and if they do take action, they're profiling. Any suggestions about how police are supposed to reconcile that?

SimonFieno December 16, 2013 at 1:09 pm

The men had a notarized letter from the girl's mother. Once they had that they should have called the mother, verified that the letter was legit, said "sorry, we had to check, I hope you understand, enjoy your time in Houston" and let them go on their way.

liesEverywhere December 3, 2013 at 9:51 am

Yea, well normal looking families fit the profile as well so everyone should be profiled.

Diane December 9, 2013 at 12:28 am

Yeah, because that's reasonable, not. What is wrong with the police doing their jobs? For the sake of argument let's say 99% of "normal looking families" don't engage in sex trafficking, is it right for police to waste their time stopping every family or should they better use their time stopping people who look out of place or (to use your word) not "normal"?

progaykilling December 23, 2013 at 8:48 pm

<div class="idc-message" id="idc-comment-msg-div-772970813"><a class="idc-close" title="Click to Close Message" href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(772970813)"><span>Close Message</span> Comment posted. <p class="idc-nomargin"><a class="idc-share-facebook" target="_new" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthenewcivilrightsmovement.com%2Fcops-handcuff-remove-13-year-old-white-girl-from-her-black-guardians%2Fnews%2F2013%2F12%2F02%2F79551%23.UrjnivRDt4R#IDComment772970813&t=I%20just%20commented%20on%20Cops%20Handcuff%2C%20Remove%2013%20Year%20Old%20White%20Girl%20From%20Her%20Black%20Guardians%20%7C%20The%20New%20Civil%20Rights%20Movement&quot; style="text-decoration: none;"><span class="idc-share-inner"><span>Share on Facebook</span></span> or <a href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(772970813)">Close Messagenot only profiled but the fucking nigers should have been killed brutally

RhondaYes December 3, 2013 at 4:11 am

Immediately, they seek excuses for the behaviors of each other. Always handy with a justification for the wrong they do or are caught doing. Refusing to admit or believe there was any wrongdoing or malice at play.

These officers just come up to the vehicle open the door and pull the kids from the car and this is acceptable, legal, and should be understandable? Here’s the rub, had it happened to one of them they would be screaming bloody hell about their constitution rights being violated.

beardedboywndr December 3, 2013 at 7:23 am

I'm more than a little torn on this one. What would the headlines be if the cops noticed a juvenile girl in the custody of 2 adult males, did nothing, and then later discovered her mutilated body? Obviously,the cops could have been a bit more genteel in their inquiry. However, look at the statistics on cops assaulted by persons they are taking into custody. I'm sure that the cops will tell you that genteel can result in the death of a cop. No win for the cops. Just glad everyone is safe.

scallywagy December 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm

So we’re gonna pretend that being with two unrelated white men would have resulted in the same response?

Diane December 9, 2013 at 12:37 am

Probably not, unless the girl were not white. It's all situational. Cops hauled them in, it all worked out and they probably won't fall asleep in the car on the next trip. Life is not perfect, neither am I, but I would want the cops to do the same thing again if the situation arose.

{ 1 trackback }