Elisabeth Hasselbeck: “I Actually Support Gay Marriage.”

by Caleb Eigsti on August 17, 2010

in Caleb Eigsti,Celebrities

Post image for Elisabeth Hasselbeck: “I Actually Support Gay Marriage.”

Elisabeth Hasselbeck, cohost of ABC’s The View, speaks out in favor of gay marriage and against what she feels are the misconceptions people have of her based on her personality. Besides being the youngest member of The View‘s panel, an interview with Fancast shows Hasselbeck’s support of gay marriage, and also a woman’s right to choose.

Fancast’s Adam Buckman asked Hasselbeck:

What are some common misperceptions about you?

Her response may surprise you.

I am not ultra-ultra-conservative on every issue. I actually support gay marriage.

She went on to say that this opinion, and others, may surprise some people.

I think the gay marriage thing would definitely surprise people. I mean, for some people, it will surprise them to the point that they won’t want to hear it.

Her next point is her view on abortion, and the rights of women versus the rights of government. Sharron Angle, watch out, Hasselbeck is NOT your friend.

I am a person that does believe that life begins at conception, but I also don’t believe that the government should tell women what to do with their bodies. So I’m torn there in terms of supporting laws [for or against abortion]. I always say I would rather change a heart than a law. I think it has to start there. Always trying to mandate, mandate, mandate this or that is not the way that I believe this country should run.

Newsbusters.org also shares a little information about Hasselbeck and her seemingly transformed views on the issue of  gay marriage. In the article they quote an episode of The View where Hasselbeck joins forces with the former first lady Laura Bush and takes a stand against the former president’s view on gay marriage and abortion rights.

I think there are a lot of, maybe, conservatives out there who are talking about gay marriage and not necessarily with someone who wants to have gay marriage or has been in a gay marriage. You know, I had Melissa Etheridge over, we had dinner, we talked for hours about gay marriage, and I would really challenge people: Get out there. Instead of just talking about it and hating on it, actually talk to someone who’s loved someone else and have the conversation about what can be done…

Here she suggests that instead of fighting against something you don’t understand, find someone who is in a same-sex relationship and talk with them. *Gasp*

It is important, for us liberals or gay people as well, to go and talk…the key is talk, not yell, not fight, talk to someone with opposing views. If it turns ugly, walk away, but at least you tried to understand something about somebody else.

(image: ABC)

Edwin MacDonald August 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Holy Crap! A Conservative that changed her mind! I am buying a lottery ticket, this is monumental!

But seriously, this is VERY important and Elizabeth deserves a LOT of props for being mature enough to talk, listen, and understand.

Caleb August 18, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I agree with you that she deserves a lot of credit, but I think it we need to be cautious and watchful. Her support is greatly appreciated but her rhetoric is still wavering.

Huero August 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

You hit it right on the nail!!

Brendan August 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Scary thought that I might find myself on the same side with Hasselbeck.

CocteauBoy aka Troy August 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm

This is great news, and I hope it's beneficial for the movement toward Equality, but I'm not sure. She would have to take a definitive, active stance for me to see this as meaning anything. I watch The View every day (go ahead and laugh! lol) and her views are on Gay Marriage have not been supportive. They are wishy-washy and sometimes even undermining, particularly when she defended Prop 8 because it's America's right to vote on what they they want and don't want, and they don't want gay marriage. And the right for gay couples to adopt have not been supported by her, either. She's not in my good graces just yet. More like a well-dressed, kinda pretty slithery serpent, than anything.

Caleb August 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Troy-

Very true, until her rhetoric changes I will be hard pressed to believe it. Just reporting what has been recorded.

MalognaSandwich August 17, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Great post, Caleb!

Caleb August 18, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Thank you very much! Thank you for the support and for reading. Your comment and encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Guest August 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Um, ok. Then why does she continue to support political candidates who oppose gay marriage and the right to choose?

Conservative Ally August 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for asking liberals to TALK with someone who doesn't share all their views. I see just as much close-mindedness on BOTH ends of the political spectrum.

For over ten years, I have been a politically conservative straight ally with a gay business partner and watched his challenges with marriage, divorce and adoption. But, when I tell people (especially liberals) that I am against gay marriage they freak out!

They won't even listen that I am against ALL government sponsorship and sanctioning of marriage. Gay or straight. A marriage is a contract between two people. Just like any other contract, a government agent isn't necessary to ratify it. Every benefit that the government attaches to marriage can be accomplished through those entities (a court, hospital, adoption agency) simply accepting the contract that two people have established.

Gay couples are more likely to find equal rights if the government gets out of the religious institution of marriage altogether. Most people have a primary voting issue that trumps all others. They will disagree with a candidate on a number of issues but continue supporting them because of one passionate agreement. Gay marriage isn't a primary voting issue for enough people to really make change right now. Even adding in the many gay allies there still isn't a critical mass large enough to make change yet. Most allies have a primary voting issue that isn't gay marriage so it is simply luck that their candidate will also agree with them on that issue too.

So the best political move for those wanting gay marriage is to support smaller government candidates. Those that want to shrink what has been a creeping overgrowth of government involvement in personal choices would be more likely to want to stop all government involvement in the decision between two people to get married. Don't be fooled into thinking that everyone who wants to shrink government's power and influence are religious cooks, bigots or millionaires. Many of us believe in smaller government to protect our own civil, economic, and political rights.

A Prettier View August 20, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Thats a really mental comment. Why would he tell her what to do Barbara is the HBIC—Head Bitch In Charge. If anyone is playing "Puppet Meister" she is the one with her hand up their bums.

The Prettier View August 20, 2010 at 6:58 pm

But, Seriously I love The View. While Elisabeth sounds like Charlie Browns mom to me when she talks, I occasionally hear something relavant and smart come out of her mouth.

DDR August 20, 2010 at 7:04 pm

She has actually spoken in favor of it for quite some time, she just hadn't come out to emphatically state her position until now but this isn't exactly new for her. Kudos to her though for making her own choices…

Prock August 20, 2010 at 11:08 pm

F her and this calculated PR move. I hate her more than sand in a wet bathing suit. She planning to run for office? You watch.

Alan Carver August 21, 2010 at 1:25 am

This is TOO liberal of an issue for Hasselbeck to be able to comprehend let alone make an INFORMED decision about. I guarantee you that when it is time for the hens at the View to select their candidates for which they support during this years elections for Senate and House, let alone the WH in 2013 NONE of Hasselbeck's candidates that she supports NONE OF THEM WILL SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS, let alone GAY MARRIAGE! She is a SNAKE IN THE GRASS!