Post image for Fox Contributor Sandy Rios Doubles Down: ‘I Stand By’ Ariel Castro To Gay Love Comparison

by David Badash on August 8, 2013

in Bigotry Watch,Marriage,News,Religion

Sandy Rios last week got more attention than she has ever known. The Fox News contributor who also hosts her own radio show on the American Family Association‘s radio network of nearly 200 stations covering more than 40 states, is no stranger to being in the media spotlight, but her comments last week exponentially expanded her “audience” — which she acknowledged this week.

So what caused the firestorm?

Last week Rios compared the love two gay men feel for each other to the “love” kidnapper, rapist, and murderer Ariel Castro felt for the women he kept captive as slaves in his home.

LISTEN: Gays Love Each Other Just Like Ariel Castro Loved The Women He Raped Suggests Fox Contributor

Needless to say, that claim — as false and disgusting and offensive as it is, is in keeping with the vision the anti-gay hate group, American Family Association, that pays her salary, professes.

LOOK: Anti-Gay Hate Groups Are ‘Simply Fighting For Their Values’ Says Family Research Council

And needless to say, headlines went wild.

But Sandy Rios this week says, “I stand by what we say…As unfortunate and uncomfortable, heartbreaking, irrational that seems to some of you that are so steeped in the homosexual lifestyle, you’re steeped in popular culture, it’s still the truth.”

And it gets worse.

She also thinks that if her words weren’t true, they wouldn’t bother anyone. (Bully much, Sandy?)

“If what we’re saying is not true, it should have no power over you, it shouldn’t bother you,” Rios claimed this week on her show. “Because I think in time, what’s true and what’s right, what works, what comports with reality will be lasting. So, let’s just see if your view of this is lasting. Let’s just see if homosexual marriage is all that you think it is, if it’s a pure and wonderful expression of love for two people.

“Now, I would never say that homosexuals cannot love. They can, of course. Capable of great love. And I know there’s been tremendous heartbreak in the homosexual community – and I’ve talked about this before – heartbreak when you lose a loved one, heartbreak when you break up. Because, you know, there aren’t many lasting relationships – maybe among lesbians, but certainly not among gay men, that’s not the norm.

“So, there’s a lot of heartbreak, a lot of rejection when you get older, so I know that you’re capable and able. You’re humans, you love. The point is, the right kind of love. The right kind of love is life-giving. And the right kind of love is love for God, love for your natural family, love between a man and a woman and a woman and a man in marriage. Not cohabitating. There’s just some standards that God lays down.”

Listen:

Thanks to Right Wing Watch for the audio and transcript

russellsvocation August 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

I don't use the word "cunt" often… I think I'm going to start with her.

BJLincoln August 8, 2013 at 11:02 am

She has no idea how ugly and offensive she is.
How can we stop this? When the haters say they have no freedom to say what they want because of anti-discrimination laws we just point to people like her and Bryan Fischer as examples.

MichaelR3491 August 8, 2013 at 11:05 am

"Rios this week also claimed that same-sex relationship almost never last, but if gays would just marry members of the opposite sex, all that would change."

50% of "straight" marriages end in divorce. So, if Gay men would just marry straight women, the divorce rate would go down? This woman is an idiot.

SeanLiberty13 August 8, 2013 at 11:34 am

You know because all of the ex-"ex-gays" stayed in the fake marriages they created to please anti-gay people and former Gov. Mcgreevy stayed with the woman he married also. Oh wait they didn't. That would only raise the divorce rate.

rickydee1955 August 9, 2013 at 4:05 am

This woman is evil, no doubt. Doesn't mean that all mixed orientation relationships are fake…

RawrIhavePi August 8, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Have you seen that video where gay men threaten to marry straight men's girlfriends if DOMA and Prop 8 weren't overturned? XD I'd probably be less likely to divorce those men, too. XD

RRuinsky August 8, 2013 at 11:07 am

It's tough to deal with irrational haters. Ignorance is the root of bigotry and this woman is as ignorant as a person can get. She got what she wanted. Attention.

SeanLiberty13 August 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

Yeah well I stand by my statement calling her a grotesque, uneducated, Nazi whore. So TAH!

Robroberts2013 August 8, 2013 at 11:48 am

I truly pity and feel sorry for Ms. Rios. Anyone that has to make such damaging and hateful remarks must not be doing well in their life and career. Why is her concern for gays expressed by working with an anti-gay hate group that actively seeks to deny gays love, happiness and families?

And can Ms. Rios back up her claim that gays cannot love with scientific evidence that our brains are designed differently than others? Can she get inside my head and feel the reality of the intense love I feel for my partner of twelve years?

I understand the ignorent, the religioisly brainwashed and the bigots attacking the gay community based on our sexual practices or what they claim the bible has to say; but Ms. Rios has gone way, way over the line by saying that we are not capable of love. Her statements will repulse the majority of Americans that have ever met, known, loved or had a gay person as a child, a brother, an uncle or a partner.

I am sure Ms. Rios felt love for her handicapped daughter who died a couple years ago; It would be beyond decency to mock or question this love. But Ms. Rios seems to lack the moral compass that would guide her away from launching this very attack on humans that I can assure you are capable of great, deep and profound love.

Huntercgo August 9, 2013 at 7:56 am

I'm sort of ambivalent about your first paragraph, but I think the answer is along these lines: Don't ever underestimate the degree of cynicism on the anti-gay right. For people like Rios, Perkins, Fischer, it's a money-making scheme. (There are those like Andrea Lafferty and Linda Harvey who are totally delusional, but they're also marginal, even within their movement.) I can't address how Rios' life is going, but verbal gay-bashing *is* her career. "Concern for gays"? Please. Her only concern is for herself.

A footnote regarding the professed "Christianity" of these thugs: it's axiomatic that if you search through the scriptures of just about any religious tradition, you can find something to justify what you wanted to do anyway. The parts you pick to follow reveal what kind of person you are.

elizapar11 August 8, 2013 at 1:17 pm

According to Rios, same sex relationships almost never last. What about the straight relationships Sandy? There is a high divorce rate in this country due to the fact that the straights can't honor their vows so they commit adultery and will continue to cheat on each other. Why are the Republicans and the Christian Right obsessed with gay sex? Why are both groups self righteous and hypocritical? I guess because they haven't learned how to grow up and get along with others like a mature adult.

Huntercgo August 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

My response to the "never last" BS: Massachusetts had the lowest divorce rate in the country; after SSM was legalized, the divorce rate went down. 'Nuff said?

elizapar11 August 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm

if anyone sees this woman ban her from your business

Dave_Koch August 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Some biographical information regarding Sandy Rios places her birthdate as 1951 (Google: Sandy Rios) and other biographical information places her birthday between 1946 and 1949 – See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Rios . It clearly appears that the Wikipedia bio was written by a bias source since it is flagged as appearing as an advertisement and written as a resume.

In any case, there is clearly no doubt that this Wizard of Oz 60+ year-old hack has had a LOT of work done on her face.

Ms. Rios, you might do a cursory examination of your predecessor, Anita Bryant, and note how well her crusade worked out for her. Ruin, devastation, divorce (oh yeah, you've already been down that failed marriage road.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Bryant

Oh, one last thing Ms. Rios…

┌П┐(-_-)┌П┐

thedrakester27 August 8, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Just a rant. I am a self employed single gay man in my 50's. I have a residential cleaning service(30 years), my clients have a wide variety of sexual orientation, relationship status..etc. My clients have changed over the years. But the one thing that I have noticed…the gay MALE couples that I have cleaned for and/kept in touch with…they have had the longest running relationships. 15-50 years and some in between. Can't say that about the straight couples I have worked with….

witchypoobeck August 9, 2013 at 1:57 am

Wow … just wow … I didn't know brains came that small!

teeveedub August 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can go to tell this imbecile to her face what a hateful, misinformed fool she is? Anyone care to join me?

James_M_Martin August 9, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Oh, yes. Gay men routinely kidnap children off the streets, impregnate them, and keep them imprisoned in old wood-frame houses that don't even have Abba CD'S or David statuettes. This woman is delusional. She is a threat to reason.

{ 1 trackback }