Gay Rights Battle Moving To Sports? Anchor Fired Over Anti-Gay Tweet

by David Badash on May 11, 2011

in Bigotry Watch,News,Sports

Post image for Gay Rights Battle Moving To Sports? Anchor Fired Over Anti-Gay Tweet

Damian Goddard, a Canadian sports anchor, was fired Wednesday, reportedly over a tweet he sent in support of Uptown Sports’ denunciation of Sean Avery’s support of same-sex marriage. “I completely and whole-heartedly support Todd Reynolds and his support for the traditional and TRUE meaning of marriage,” Goddard tweeted Tuesday. He then re-tweeted Uptown Sports’ tweet that had set off the firestorm.

On Saturday, the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest LGBT rights organization, released a video made by Rangers’ hockey pro Sean Avery, in which Avery says, “Committed couples should be able to marry the person they love. Join me in supporting marriage equality.”

“I’m Sean Avery, and I’m a New Yorker for marriage equality,” says the Canadian born hockey star. “I treat everyone the way I expect to be treated, and that applies to marriage.”

On Monday, Uptown Sports, a Canadian sports management agent to NHL and professional hockey players denounced Rangers’ Sean Avery’s support of marriage equality. “Very sad to read Sean Avery’s misguided support of same-​gender “marriage”. Legal or not, it will always be wrong,” Uptown Sports wrote, via Twitter. Uptown Sports, according to their website and Twitter page, “represents Professional Hockey players such as Andrew Brunette, Cody McCormick, Chris Neil, Mike Fisher and Carlo Colaiacovo.”

Then, on Tuesday, Goddard added his own thoughts, via Twitter. After his initial tweet, then his re-tweet of the Uptwon Sports tweet, Goddard continued his anti-gay attack, and tweeted, “Reynolds… Peter Vidmar… coming under the attack of the so-called ‘tolerant liberal left’. http://tinyurl.com/3qrghmb.” The link leads to a story titled, “Peter Vidmar steps down as chief of mission for 2012 U.S. Olympic Team.” Vidmar made made anti-gay statement earlier.

Goddard then continued, tweeting, “…Trust me. What Todd said stands like the Rock of Gibraltar.”

His final tweet to date, still on Tuesday, was, “gonna spend some time with the wife now. to be clear, damian goddard’s tweets reflect the views of damian goddard. peace, folks!”

“Damian Goddard is no longer with Rogers Sportsnet. Mr. Goddard was a freelance contractor and in recent weeks it had become clear that he is not the right fit for our organization,” a Sportsnet press release staes. “As this is a confidential personnel matter, we will not be commenting further except to say that views expressed by Mr. Goddard on Twitter are his own and do not reflect the views of Rogers or Rogers Sportsnet.”

sparklincyanide May 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm

How thick can one get? Why would you tweet such things after seeing what happened to so many for using twitter or facebook to promote anti-gay messages?
On 2nd thought, maybe its better that they keep making these mistakes, at least that way we will know who the douche bags are. Serves him right.

Not a wimp May 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm

not thick, brave. He has integrity. He tweeted the truth. And nothing quoted from Goddard and Uptown Sports qualifies as 'anti-gay' or homophobia. It is, however, 'anti-gay sexual activity' and 'anti-gay usurpation of the natural meaning of marriage'. Good for Goddard. He's no wimp.

sparklincyanide May 12, 2011 at 6:13 pm

"Brave", "Integrity"??? You made me laugh so hard. Try "stupid", "ignorant" and "closeted". And when you say, "natural meaning" of marriage, you mean "man made" meaning … right? And I am not sure if you know the meaning of anti-gay or not. It would be a good idea now to look it up.
And as I said before, if this an act of bravery, then we need lots of others to come and show us how brave they are so that we can deal with them too. "Integrity"!!!! ..ha ha ha ha ah

Not a wimp May 12, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Sparklin, thanks for asking… I don't mean 'man-made' meaning, I mean God-made meaning. Oh I know, you aren't buying. Well, why should you buy what just anyone says? Sparklin, sweetheart, I do wish you would ask God Himself, and if you really want to know and then do what is true, God will tell you. Go see for yourself.

sparklincyanide May 12, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Looks like you have mastered the art or science of chatting with God. You can give me the hotline number or the messenger id and I will have a chat with Him for sure. And next time when you talk to Him, please tell him to give you some compassion, love and acceptance. I am sure He will appreciate that you are aware that you lack all of them.
And one request…please don't call me "sweetheart". It makes me cringe coming out of the mouth of people like you. I feel dirty , its like being raped.

Not a wimp May 12, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Sparklin, thanks for asking…I don't mean 'man-made' meaning, I mean God-made meaning. I know, you aren't buying. But why should you buy what just anyone says? Sparklin, sweetheart, I wish you would just go ask God Himself about what is true, and if you really want to know and to do what is true, God will tell you. Go see for yourself.

Nick Mc May 11, 2011 at 10:16 pm

these sorts of firings always make me a little uneasy, not long ago promoting the opposite opinion would get you fired (probably still does some places)

@SteveMD2 May 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Good riddance. The lust for money is the root of all evil, and taking awaay the money helps to change minds.

stick it to those kind of people. Lots of them anyway are secretly gay and stick it to them is their special desire.

Try minister Ted Haggard who a couple years ago ranted against gay marriage and got outed by his male prostitute boyfriend. then he was christian cured and did it again and got caught.

Now disgraced and a year or two to think it over, he finally came out and supports gay marriage.

Feel sorry for his wife and that they both lived a lie

then there is the hate Group FRC. Whose founder George Reker got caught taking pretty boy Jo-Vanni Roman with him to Europe on vacation. JO-Vanni is a gay male college age prostitute, per rentboy.com's website Reker must have spent $20,000 to buy JoVanni for 2 weeks of massage of his private parts

Its always that way – the louder they protest, the gayer they are.

marcus99 May 12, 2011 at 7:33 am

As we say in Canada: Au revoir monsieur!

Justin May 12, 2011 at 8:57 am

While I found his opinion abhorrent, he didn't deserve to get fired. You'll note that Rogers SportsNet has not expressed their support for same-sex marriage.

@pcyopick May 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm

No one has to express their support in Canada, it's the law. Bigotry has no place on television, and he was justly fired.

Then again, maybe Fox News (or the Canadian Sun TV) is looking for a sportcaster.

purplepussy May 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm

what a twat!

joe.rogers May 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm

You can't bash gays or democrats!! only bash the west, catholics, christians, and conservatives dont people know that by now!!!

Jay May 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

No one has interfered with this bigot's freedom of speech. He is free to say what he wants. But free speech does not mean that there are no consequences to speech. Free speech simply means that the government is not going to put him in jail for his speech. Goddard has free speech, but so do others, including his employer. The employer no doubt worried about the consequences of Goddard's speech on their bottomline and decided to get rid of him. Good riddance.

Not a wimp May 13, 2011 at 7:24 am

There is no art or science to it, Sparklin. God waits and waits to hear from each and every person He made. God is Who He is, not who we say He is, and He says He is love, full of mercy and compassion, and acceptance of every person He ever made, but not of the things that He commands us not to do. Go see for yourself.

sparklincyanide May 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

By the way you are talking it looks like you are Christian. Well, I am not. And our God doesn't COMMAND anything. Coz we are not His servants. So no, I am not going to see for myself. I don't want a DICTATOR or COMMANDER IN CHIEF as my God. I am very very thankful that my religion and God is different from yours. Sucks to be you.
And don't reply to my messages anymore, here coz this is someone else's blog and not our battlefield. You wanna continue, e-mail me at laughter98@hotmail.com. I am enjoying this too much.

Not a wimp May 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Sparklin, when you were little, ie dependent on your parents/guardians, didn't they command you to don't go near the street/fire/deep water/criminal activity etc? You will do the very same commanding for your own children, commands of love.

God bless you, Sparklin.

sparklincyanide May 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Oh yah, they did. And along with that they taught me to love others, accept the way they are, and never judge and definitely never question some one else's love.
And thats exactly why, although I find sexual relation between a man and a woman unnatural, disgusting, nauseating, I accept them. Yes, I say unnatural, because it doesn't come naturally to me.
And when I have children (provided people like you would let us have our own) I will teach them the samething.
So God has definitely blessed me. And I sincerely hope He blesses you too. Dunno why its taking Him so long.