God Hates Fags: New Video Turns “NoH8″ Into “God H8s”

by David Badash on April 6, 2011

in News,Religion

Post image for God Hates Fags: New Video Turns “NoH8″ Into “God H8s”

God Hates Fags, the self-created moniker of the certified hate group also known as the Westboro Baptist Church, released a new video late Wednesday night modeled after fashion photographer and gay activist Adam Bouska’s extremely successful NoH8 (“no hate”) campaign, a response to California’s Prop 8 and now an international statement in support of LGBT rights. The video, which the Westboro Baptist Church leaders were promoting online as a “FAQ that answers 19 most asked questions” about the bible, is shot with members of the church donning white shirts, Bouska’s iconic duct tape across their mouths, and “God H8s” — a take-off of the black and red tattoo-like NoH8 logo — painted on their cheeks.

Other scenes, shot with a green screen and a white background riddled with blood-like graphic images, feature Westboro founder Fred Phelps, Shirley Roper-Phelps, and other members of the Phelps and Westboro “family” quoting, mis-quoting, and mis-interpreting the Bible — while ironically instructing viewers themselves to not interpret the Bible.

The Topeka-based Westboro Baptist Church clan — themselves the subject of another video,  a 2006 BBC documentary that called them “The Most Hated Family in America,” and a recent sequel — have made the focus of their lives to protest the funerals of many gays, soldiers, and pop-culture icons.

Westboro originally caught the public’s eye when they picketed the funeral of Matthew Shepard with signs that read, “Fag Matt Burns In Hell,” in front of Shepard’s family members. God Hates Fags also picketed Heath Ledger’s funeral, White House Press Secretary Tony Snow’s funeral, Al Gore’s father’s funeral, funerals of the victims of the Minneapolis bridge collapse, and more recently, Geraldine Ferraro’s funeral, as well as the funerals of countless soldiers, of which the family of one sued them in court. Recently, God Hates Fags won that battle in a Supreme Court First Amendment free speech case which reinforced the right to picket funerals.

Read: “God Hates Fags Church No-Show At Elizabeth Taylor’s Funeral, Too…

The new video professes that God hates “adultery,” “fags,” “fag enablers,” “ur feelings,” “Jews,” “lies,” and a dozen other issues the Phelps clan has identified, and mentions 9/11 and the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan, as well as other natural disasters, suggesting they are God’s wrath.

In the world of the Westboro Baptist Church, according to the video, God does not love everyone, most people are destined to go to hell for eternity, accepting Christ subordinates him, Jesus did not die for your sins, and in a strange re-interpretation of the Bible, the Holy Ghost is now part of the Old Testament.

The 25-minute video, which often uses young children, is filled with lies, hate, and bigotry. It is at best fictive and at worst blasphemous.

At the end, if you can watch that long, Westboro promotes their cadre of websites — including the requisite GodHatesFags.com, JewsKilledJesus.com, and BarackBeast.com — which is surprising as they have all been offline for months after a highly-publicized take-down by the Internet hactivist group Anonymous.

Read: “Anonymous Successfully Hacks God Hates Fags Websites

Warning: This video is not for the faint of heart. It is harsh, verbally, emotionally, and if you’re so-inclined, spiritually-assaulting. While it is inconceivable anyone with a modicum of intelligence would see it as instructive or educational, those most-susceptible to the “lessons” of religion and the Bible may. If you choose to view it, don’t be fooled by its deceptions.

The Professor April 6, 2011 at 9:50 am

Nice to see that with modern technology, even a bunch of inbred hicks from a trailer park can produce a slick video. I wonder if they got the rights to all that music they use in it?

Stephen Houldsworth April 6, 2011 at 11:37 am

It seems to be that the Westboro folks are just taking the Bible to its logical conclusion. The answer is not to hate the Westboro folks; the answer is to throw out the Bible.

Marc Felion April 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I agree and and I have Shirley Phelps on record saying she supports full equality for LGBT people under the law and that people who use the Bible as a tool for legal discrimination are the first ones going to hell.

Claire April 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

If they are misinterpretingand misquoting the Bible, this won't help.

God loves each of us. We are all created in His image. He is greatly saddened when even one doesn't accept Him. We are told to love our neighbors as ourselves.

Nico May 7, 2011 at 3:27 am

I don't think God cares if we accept Him/Her/It or not. We are too much of a messed up species.

Alex Lau April 6, 2011 at 11:48 am

These people make people HATE God instead.

Chuck Morris April 7, 2011 at 1:30 am

Dude I don't believe in God, I'm a firm agnostic.

But these people don't make me hate your vision of God. If anything they make your vision of God much more pleasing.

Ruth April 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm

This makes me so sad. I happen to believe in God – I hate religion, but I love God. I also believe that God loves – period. He loves gay people and, personal opinion here, I think the bible is misinterpreted where it talks about homosexuality. My hope is that everyone sees these people for what they are, hate-filled, misguided people (who God also loves) who are not in any way representative of God.

Michael April 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

This is ridiculous. 1 John 4:8 "…God is love." There are so many lies and twisted half-truths in that video… it's kinda sickening. While the Bible does speak out against homosexuality, that in no way means that God hates gays or any other people group.

Ruth April 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

The bible speaks out about many other things a lot more often and a lot more clearly than homosexuality. Things like greed and not taking care of the poor, but those things are perfectly acceptable to most "Christians", but they feel like they have the right to tell other people how they're going to hell. I cannot accept that a loving god would make people gay and then send them to hell for it. That's like making a dog and then beating it for not being a cat – it's ridiculous. I have to believe that there is something we are not understanding here. Besides that, didn't Jesus say that all sin is equal? If that's true, then don't we have to accept the gay people as they are, just like we accept everyone else? You'll go so far as to say that god loves gay people, but you don't want to allow them any rights. How is that loving?

claire April 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

These people are not Christians. Their actions are not of Christ. They do not follow Christ.

Ross Watkins April 6, 2011 at 9:14 pm

amen to that

WOAH April 7, 2011 at 5:02 am

double amen.

Danny C April 8, 2011 at 2:21 am

Please tell me what the twisted lies and half-truths are please.

joe April 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm

wtf these ppl are off their damn rockers… btw cant they be sued for infringement of all they songs they rewrote for this disgusting video ???

mark April 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm

about pic of the kids with the hate message on them. teaching hate to children is child abuse, take those kids away from there abussive parents and give them to loving families. The WBC are brainwashing haters …God is love not hate

IndigoAir April 7, 2011 at 1:25 am

That is without a doubt one of the sickest parts about this whole thing. Those children will never know an ounce of compassion in their lives. It's downright terrible, anyone who would do that to their child just to push their own agenda…

sum1famous April 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm

honestly i'm not impressed at all with this video … its sad to see children being used to promote hate… i agree with "mark" this is child abuse.

David Badash April 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

You're NOT suppose to be impressed with this. It should send you running to the bathroom to throw up. There's not one good thing about it. What ever made you think otherwise?

Sam April 6, 2011 at 7:37 pm

This Video and Church is not acting in Gods interest… Insead it is offensive to All people.. When Jesus the Christ Died on the Cross he paid the cost of sin for All human beings for all time. Yes, he hates sin but LOVES the sinner. He is perfection and doesnt need some bunch trying to hurt others. It is the purpose of the Church to be blessing to Everyone. That is what Love does. Matter of fact, Look up what Love is in the bible and you will then know the difference when you see such horrible actions and hatred. Lets pray these people get a heart before it is too late.

Brian Corzine April 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm

John 14:6
Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. You can't just pick and choose the versus and then make up a stupid religion.

Daphne Ferraro April 6, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Wow. Can't believe I wasted 25 minutes of my life watching that bullshit.

The Lord Above April 6, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Let those people in those picture all Drop Dead from a deadly disease and see that is more to worry about in this world than the issues THEY disgustingly represent!

Ross Watkins April 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Some people are idiots, i am not going to to deep into the bible here but i just want to point out a few things to westboro batshit crazy church

‎1. God hates no man or woman, sinner or not. God loves every being with every ounce of love he has to give.
2. God will forgive you of your sins, all a fag must do is repent, all is forgiven heaven is entered(it says so in the bible)
3. Only god can judge who goes to hell, Westboro is not god so who are they to say fags go to hell. ( to say they know they go to hell would be to claim to be god, which is also a sin seeing as you shall have no false idols before him)
4. The only unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the holy spirit, to say god hates fags would be to blaspheme the lord(you do the math)
5. Jews did not kill jesus you tards the romans did.

needless to say someone needs a reality check and few a drippy drops of lsd to get their perspective in order.

Talon75 April 7, 2011 at 6:58 pm

What they need to do is stop inbreeding…… I think the preacher wasn't hugged as a child.

Ross Watkins April 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Oh on a side note pastor can suck dick and swallow the nut. If i hear about his death ill be at the funeral with my signs laughing about him burning in hell

Christine April 7, 2011 at 12:03 am

God doesnt hate. These people are a bunch of idiots. Stop giving God opinions.

Christine April 7, 2011 at 12:06 am

And why do they all look like they're on meth?

Meg April 7, 2011 at 12:13 am

I pray God has pity on their broken/twisted/satanic views.
As this world continues to fall into death and darkness,
I will fight to keep my light and fire shining for Christ Jesus my lord and Savior.

IndigoAir April 7, 2011 at 12:43 am

Oh, Fred Phelps. Aren't you dead yet?
Okay, so the thing that kept going through my mind as I was reading the article and comments (after I got to that part of the article, that is) is how they won the Supreme Court case. Now… this is just my personal opinion here, but let me just lay out a few of my thoughts for those who wish to read them.

Free speech or not, this should not have happened. These people should be free, as everyone else is, to believe what they may. They should be free to talk amongst themselves about what they may. However, a family and a friend who have just lost a loved one to a natural disaster, or a war, or ANY circumstance that the universe has to offer, should have a right to not have these people disgracing the humanity of the one who was lost. There is absolutely NO way, NO reason that such twisted, hateful expressions that can only bring more pain and more grief and more heart shattering suffering to potentially hundreds or thousands of people should ever ever EVER outweigh those who are in mourning. They want free speech? They can stay at home and scream at their tvs and shake their heads and curse and stomp their feet. What I would like is the right to not have to see their hate-mongering bullshit in the news. I want the right to have them forced off the streets of any and every funeral, by armed police if necessary. I want every single person who has lost a loved one to have the right to mourn in peace.

I am not trying to insult the justice system or anything, and maybe my emotions are causing an imbalance in my views on the situation, but it doesn't seem that way to me. To me it seems so basic and simple and logical and I am just so pained and so frustrated that these… sad, sad, pitiful people with such blind and angry souls have been given a free pass to bring devastating grief to countless friends and families. For the record – I am not saying that their free speech should be limited because they are a minority, it is ONLY because their free expressions bring absolutely NO positivity to anyone but themselves. It is nothing but violence and hatred and degradation, and when it effects people on such a large scale I deeply and honestly feel that it is a criminal act.

Anyway. I have gone on for too long. If I get myself worked up any more I am probably going to start crying out of frustration.

Chuck Morris April 7, 2011 at 1:28 am

I'm no supporter of the WBC or their views…..BUT they can interpret the bible as they see fit, just like anyone else can do the same. Its the reason why we have so many different religious denominations.

I'm not a religious man, and dislike ANY religious group preaching at me. Whether that preaching is overly aggressive like this or passive aggressive like the majority of religions, it is ALL THE SAME.

Honestly if it boils your blood listening to this, don't. Its that simple. I watch it as a curiosity and to make myself feel better that I'm more emotionally stable and motivated towards a better goal that a bunch of people.

Ximena Duarte April 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I'm sorry but it's not as simple as not listening to something you don't like. It's not at all the same. Whether or not you like or dislike religious groups, there is a clear line between what is appropriate and what isn't. No one likes to have other people push their beliefs on you. But that isn't what's wrong. It's annoying yes, but WBC takes it a step further. This is called harassment. This isn't about being passive aggressive or what-have-you.

This is simply harassment. Picketing at funerals? Using children to advertise messages like these? Yes, everyone has a right to free speech and protest but it comes to a point where you cannot infringe on anyone else's rights. And these people, sir, are violating others' right to privacy.

So no, it's not the same. It's not as simple as "don't listen". Because something must be done about this group. We can't shut them up, but this harassment cannot go on any longer.

Henry 'Ashka' Biddle April 7, 2011 at 3:11 am

I like how their videos claim they don't hate, they are doing this for the good of humanity, and not to interpret the bible in our way… all the while hating everything under the sun, condemning all of humanity to hell and interpreting and distorting the bible for their own pleasure. Also like how they refuse to admit their own sins.

What happened when I tried to have a Q&A with them: http://dwellerofrhymes.blogspot.com/2011/04/rambl

Yep April 7, 2011 at 4:01 am

I liked the girl with the lazy eye and the fat dude with the repent head band. Of course God makes junk.

WOAH April 7, 2011 at 5:01 am

WOAAAAH what the feck. I have no more words.

Addicted_To_Adam April 7, 2011 at 7:39 am

ugh i HATE them. and they have a bunch of little kids who probably dont know that what they're doing is wrong. this is where hateful people are made, in those poor children… god, i couldn't get 15 seconds in without feeling sick, and turned it off shortly after that. i dont believe in god, and respect those who do, but these people… if ANYONE is burning in hell, this is the lot.

Gigi April 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

How could God hate the homosexuals that he created?

Tjurimas April 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

Westboro Baptist Church Contradiction -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j99IXy9-8sI

jadelush April 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm

this is descrasfull! JUST STOP! god loves everyone? no he dosnt because hes not REAL! if he loved everyone wy not the gays? wy would ha make people he hates? REALLY!? grow up! im 12 and i stand for gay rights! this is awfull!

cath April 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm

there just d***s

cath April 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm

p.s there is reason why i don't believe in god
i believe Buddh

Brenna April 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I feel sorry for those people. You look into their eyes and you can see TRULY emotionally disturbed people. Then again, it still doesn't change the fact that they piss me off.

Talon75 April 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Ha lord!! Do they really believe the shit they are spewing!!!!

peebo April 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

lol this doesnt make me want to believe in god this makes me think if god is real how can he be such an asshole. fuck all you people in this video and that are following this GodH8s bullshit. you all are crazy

Anonymous April 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm

This is bogus god loves everyone no matter gay or straight this video is horrible a persons sexuality is up to them this is the worst video ever its horible its so f@&$*#% bogus im 15 and i am all for gay rights this was horrible i hope all those people get wats coming for them this movie is so upseting to me it makes me sick why do people hate i think people should be for it its ok to be gay and people putting their own kids in there tht is horible all them people in that video r stupid and mean and evil and a bunch of asses i hate them all i hope they go to hell

whatev April 8, 2011 at 1:38 am

It's funny, I'v been to church my life growing up, and the priest never said anything ever about god hating anyone. So i really dont know what bible they are reading or in what ways they are interpreting it. i think one of those crazies wrote some bullshit down and then preached their heart out to some other insane people and are obviously brainwashing children. they all need to go to an insane asylum. what else, oh haha, dont worry everyone about these people who are in this video and all their followers. they all have a mental disorder that they cant help. and obviously dont want help. they should all were tape across there mouths 24/7. i believe when they die, they will know that they were wrong.

whatev April 8, 2011 at 1:49 am

And another thing, why are they so focused on what God hates, instead of what God loves? love is way more powerful than hate. This woman with the long grey hair is extremely judgmental to say the least. To call people FAGS is extremely mean and hate full. Did God ever say Hate people who are gay? If these people in this video thought for a second what the world would be like if every woman on earth have birth…just think about it, OVERPOPULATED. Everything happens for a reason, and glbt were all put on earth for a reason. They are blocking a lot of very good people out of their lives by hating.

whatev April 8, 2011 at 1:51 am

gave*

whatev April 8, 2011 at 2:32 am

your one in a million danny..All they are doing is causing hate and pain to people they dont know. They are saying their opinions and backing it up with their own version of the bible. This is a cult, not a religious group. And no, what they say does not piss me off one bit. But i believe they and you might be pissed off at the glbt community. they think its okay to tell people that they are going to hell and that is wrong no matter what. they should have some sort of conscience to know that. but like i said. they and all there followers have a mental disorder and i wont judge them or you for that. good bye and god bless.

isobel connell April 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

They need psychiatric help!

MLB April 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm

This is awful. Please don't associate a group of hateful people with God and God's word. God looks down on people like this who misuse his word for hate. If you read the entire Bible, it is clear that God's word is about love, compassion, and serving others – these people are preaching the opposite. Yes, the Bible does say that homosexuality is a sin, but so is lying, slander, and hate. Sin is sin, and we are all sinners, so nobody has the right to judge anyone else, only God does.

Matthew 7:3-5 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

Not only that, God hates the religious and hypocrites. It's easy to follow the rules like going to church, etc., but it's not easy to follow the underlying principle – compassion, love, serving others, and building relationships, which is the whole purpose of God's word.

Matthew 23:27-28 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men’s bones and everything unclean. 28In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."

Someone Random April 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm

This is so ridiculously STUPID!

George Vreeland Hill April 9, 2011 at 10:13 am

The Westboro Baptist Church is of the devil.
They are the ones going to hell.
The WBC twists the Bible around for their own cause.
Fred Phelps loves publicity and will do anything to get it.
Even if it means making a fool of himself.

George Vreeland Hill

Karla April 10, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I only managed 5 minutes of the video. Seriously, when one of the Westboro freaks die, the LGBT community needs to show up en mass and "do unto others" as they have done to us.

Lord Bedlam April 10, 2011 at 9:36 pm
Tommy April 14, 2011 at 11:16 am

Some of those younger chicks are hot! I wish they believed that God hates clothes and make a new video!

Kassi April 18, 2011 at 9:27 am

There's definitely a major flaw in your "God-Hates" logic. If all of our actions are pre-determined by gods will and we dont have free will of our own, then why do you feel it necessary to turn people against their pre-determined blasphemies. Your forgetting that our version of the bible already is interpreted by the church who "translated it" you may be baptists, but the bible was translated by monks. I dont know who your twisted evil God is, but the God that I know, that I pray to and talk to everyday, is a Benevolent God. My God spits haters like you out of his mouth like vomit. You guys are so busy making judgements to realize that it is not our place to make judgements against others. It's "christians" like you that keep people believing that we are all crazy.

Shiroko91 October 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm

the world needs more people like the guy on the answering machine at the beginning, I'm surprised it hasn't been done before (other than that time they bombed their own church to get attention)

Ross Watkins April 6, 2011 at 9:14 pm