GOP Bill Labels All Single-Parent And All Gay Households As Child Abuse

by David Badash on March 2, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Civil Rights,Discrimination,News,Politics

Post image for GOP Bill Labels All Single-Parent And All Gay Households As Child Abuse

A GOP lawmaker in Wisconsin is trying to pass a bill that would classify “non marital parenthood” as a cause of child abuse. Since gays cannot legally mary in Wisconsin, the bill automatically includes single and coupled gays and lesbians, plus any single person regardless of orientation.

The bill “requir[es] the Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Board  to emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.” Republican State Senator Glenn Grothman, who has a long history of radical positions, wants to spend tax dollars “educating” the public — with no scientific proof (because there is none) — that gays, lesbians, single mothers, and single fathers should not be allowed to be parents because their children will grow up in an abusive home.

In fact, Senator Grothman is claiming that the very lack of two married opposite sex parents in a household constitutes child abuse. Apparently, Senator Grothman believes that marriage is for procreation, and therefore only married people should be allowed to raise children.

In essence, the bill could, if it became law, be used to outlaw all gay couples raising children, and all single-parent households.

It truly boggles the mind, how stupid these radical conservatives are.

What is supposed to happen to all those children who, tragically, lose a parent to, say, cancer? A car accident? Divorce? Does the State come in the day of the parent’s funeral and rip the young boy or girl from their surviving parent’s loving arms and place them in an orphanage?

Yes, we all know these small government conservatives who want government just small enough to fit under our bedroom doors, in women’s uteruses, and now, determining who can and who cannot raise their own child.

By the way, the good Senator Grothman in the past has opposed sex education in schools claiming teachers would promote an “agenda” to make student become gay.

Although Grothman has said, “Everybody knows you’re not supposed to smoke!” he voted against a law banning smoking in bars and restaurants, but supported a bill allowing smoking in hotel rooms. And Grothman called a proposed Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, “an insult to all the other taxpayers around the state,” and opposed any possibility of a Kwanzaa holiday, stating Americans should “treat Kwanzaa with the contempt it deserves before it becomes a permanent part of our culture.”

Grothman has also “advocated the hiring of more business-friendly individuals to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources,” according to Wikipedia.

Image

Via Wonkette and Think Progress

Mykelbarber March 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Where is the scientific evidence to support this assholes assumptions?

wken March 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm

In his fantasy world.

pumpkin2358 March 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I agree with you on this. I am a single parent and I don't abuse my kids and I would like for him to try and prove that I do. These people need to go wack off somewhere. Sounds like they lost custody to there kids and the spouse may have been gay or Lesbian and got custody of the kids. You need to worry about bringing Jobs back to our country not about this shit.

keithpatrickdunn March 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Well, I have some ideas for laws too.
It should be illegal for MEN to say anything about reproductive rights.
It should be ILLEGAL for banks to defraud people on any loans…no teeny print.
It should be ILLEGAL for anyone to be denied health care for any reason.
It should be ILLEGAL to discriminate against any CLASS of person for ANY reason. End legal bigotry!
It should be ILLEGAL to rape the environment for ANY reason.
What am I missing? There must be something…
It should be ILLEGAL to defraud the public by reporting NEWS in any BIASED way.
These lying bastards wanna lie and pass laws denying rights and reality?! NO MORE!!!

vegangsterARNP March 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm

could NOT have said it better myself.

Guitcad1 March 4, 2012 at 11:36 pm

"It should be ILLEGAL for businesses to avoid taxes by moving their operations off-shore.
It should be ILLEGAL for banks to defraud people on any loans…no teeny print.
It should be ILLEGAL for anyone to be denied health care for any reason."
Totally agree on all of those.

"It should be ILLEGAL to discriminate against any CLASS of person for ANY reason."
Minor point: what about covicted felons/sex offenders?

Guitcad1 March 4, 2012 at 11:37 pm

"It should be ILLEGAL to deny the Holocaust, evolution or any other verified historical facts!"

Here's where we really part company. You call these "verified historical facts" but how can we verify them unless we are free to subject them to scrutiny and debate? I accept both of these as true, but I accept them because I have heard the arguments against them, from Holocaust deniers and creationists, and have dismissed them. What you propose would transform these "verified historical facts" into dogma that must be accepted on authority without the freedom to examine them. Sorry. I'd rather share the world with the deniers and creationists.

thegopiscrazy March 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm

How can an entire group of people (the GOP and its followers become so out of touch with logical mainstream thinking. Did these people ever attend any type of formal education that wasn't chiseled into a stone tablet or written on papyrus. These people scare the S%^& out of me. They proclaim to be christian, what is christian about what they are doing? I call it "Situational Christianinty" If they can benefit it's ok if not be dammed with you.
Remember the old saying " those that protest to much are hiding something" maybe someone should be checking the skeletons in his closet or maybe just his closet!

ninjanurse March 3, 2012 at 7:24 am

I wish child abuse were an imaginary problem, like space alien abductions.
In fact, it's a real social problem and happens in all kinds of families, schools, churches and groups. Hijacking a serious social wrong and using it to target political enemies while ignoring the real causes and effects of child abuse is–
well, actually, it's child abuse.

lepidopteryx March 3, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I chose not to marry my daughter's dad when I found out I was pregnant with her. I was a single parent for most of her life.
She ate three meals a day, even if I didn't eat at all.
She excelled in an accelerated curriculum, volunteered in the community, and was active in Girl Scouts and our UU church youth group, performed in community theater, and learned to play three musical instruments.
She is now a full time college student with a full time job and a 3.9 GPA, who does animal rescue and plans to be a veterinarian.
If my raising such a child without her chronically unemployed, ambitionless father in the house was abuse, then fit me for a pair of handcuffs.

aytrydez March 4, 2012 at 3:51 am

This man is obviously out of touch with reality. My suggestion, he should go fuck himself.

motherearthseries March 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm

How the hell do people like this get elected to office? Oh, right. There are a thousand more idiots standing behind them that think the same thing. Scary. I'm a single dad. For this yahoo to stand up and say my marital status has anything to do with how I raise my kids is offensive. Unbelievable.

AndrewMacKieM March 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Was my comment censored for some reason? The description of the bill here is inaccurate.

sandinilson March 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Given the recent idiocy in the GOP, one wonders how many people will just vote DEMOCRAT right down through the whole ticket. They obviously cannot control the fools within their ranks.

Deartháir March 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm

My cousin's daughter was born out of wedlock. My entire family stepped in to show its support. Being a huge Irish family, there was no shortage of love to go around. We all had a hand in raising that girl, and ensuring she'd live the most comfortable life she could. She was given every opportunity, and we all started a fund to help put her through university — something we've since repeated for several other family members born to single parents.

Recently her father decided to get involved in her life, after 12 years' absence. He is bound and determined to raise her as if she had both parents, even if they lived in different houses. He's now making her promises he can't keep, including promising the poor girl a pony, when there's no chance he'll afford it, and no chance he'll be able to afford upkeep. She's due to experience a major disappointment soon, and knowing how much she loves horses, she's going to be crushed.

Sometimes, depending on the parent, a child is far, FAR better off in a single-parent home, and anyone who can't recognise that possibility is living in a naive Leave-It-To-Beaver version of a 1950's utopia, and needs to step out and experience the real world.

Mikko March 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Voting for GOP is child abuse

whitneykaye12 March 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm

This is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! Not only have I grown up in a household with a same-sex couple raising me….BUT it is BECAUSE of them that I have been taught about open-mindedness, tolerance, and to be a all around better person. People like this MAKE ME SICK!!! They would rather have dozens upon dozens of children in horrible places with horrible people than to allow those children the opportunity to be and feel the LOVE that I was given. I think that if you are so caught up in your own prejudices, that you would turn over an innocent child to people that you KNOW are not fit to raise them, then YOU deserve to burn in hell for the things you are ultimately putting that child though. SHAME ON YOU!

willgt10 March 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

wait hold a second, aren't these the very same people that said Obama and larger government was ruining our freedom. So democrats can't ruin freedom, but they can?

singlemom86 July 14, 2012 at 1:16 pm

It is amazing that such a raving idiot could hold a high political office. If this bill was an actual law when I got pregnant with my daughter 3 years ago, I would've opted for abortion rather keep a baby I knew I would have to give up. So, congratulations! Be prepared for a VERY high spike in abortions if this does pass. There is a special place in hell for this man.