Homophobe Pastor Rick Warren Tweets On Hitchens’ Death. Twitter Responds.

by David Badash on December 16, 2011

in News,Politics

Post image for Homophobe Pastor Rick Warren Tweets On Hitchens’ Death. Twitter Responds.

Pastor Rick Warren, the essence of ultra-homophobes masquerading as compassionate conservatives, early this morning commented via Twitter on the death of Christopher Hitchens, famous journalist, author, pundit and atheist who preferred to be called an “antitheist.”

“My friend Christopher Hitchens has died,” Warren, head of the Saddleback Church, tweeted. “I loved & prayed for him constantly & grieve his loss. He knows the Truth now.”

Twitter, at least my Twitter stream, has been distraught all night since news broke of Hitchens’ death, and #GodIsNotGreat has been trending. Needless to say, Twitter responded, fast and furious.

Some of the responses to Pastor Warren:

@RickWarren This tweet is kind of disgusting. Way to spit on his corpse buddy.”

“RT @RickWarren He knows the Truth now <<< soon you will too”

@RickWarren “He knows the Truth now.” Fuck you, Rick”

You reap what you sow, Pastor Warren.

And for the record, Warren stands accused of being behind Uganda’s Kill The Gays bill. Enough said?

Hat tip: My friend Marc Love

BearFlagCitizen December 16, 2011 at 10:06 am

I'm ashamed to say that this asshat came from my hometown. But then…Jim Jones came from my area too so I guess it's not all surprising

BeerandOnion December 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Using a man's death to advance his bigotry is a graceless thing to do.

Buffy December 17, 2011 at 5:13 am

Even in death we can't escape the condescension and bigotry of RRRW religious zealots.

ninjanurse December 17, 2011 at 8:09 am

It's in the tradition of that kind of Christianity to use the occasion of a person's death to proselytize. I've been to too many funerals where the minister barely acknowledged the deceased before racing to the altar call. Perhaps some of you have seen this too.

Huntercgo December 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

I'm going to assume Warren's sincerity, in which case the hostile responses are out of line, no matter his history. It may just be that I see an implication in his last statement that he probably doesn't: Yes, Hitchens now knows the Truth, which none of us on this side of that divide can legitimately claim to do. None of us.

Max_Wyvern December 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm

The ending phrase isn't what rankles me. It's the unctuous praise that makes me want to throw up. Something tells me if CH was commenting on RW's death there'd be a little more meat on the bone.