JC Penney Responsible For More Women Getting Breast Cancer Says Fischer

by David Badash on February 8, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Celebrities,Discrimination,News,Politics

Post image for JC Penney Responsible For More Women Getting Breast Cancer Says Fischer

JC Penney will now be responsible for more women getting breast cancer and other illnesses, like depression, and more women will think about committing suicide, all because the mass merchandising retailer has hired Ellen DeGeneres as their new spokesperson, according to Bryan Fischer, the public face of the certified anti-gay hate group, American Family Association.

READ: Ellen: One Million Moms Are Wrong To Demand My Firing Because I’m Gay

Fischer, in a foolish piece titled, “Why pro-family Americans should care about what JCPenney,” wrongly claims that lesbians experience higher rates of breast cancer, suicide ideation, depression, vaginal illnesses, and drug addiction, merely because they are lesbians. And since JC Penney has now hired Ellen DeGeneres as their new spokesperson, Fischer claims that more women will try out lesbianism, and some apparently will be successful, subjecting themselves to higher risks of disease.

Of course this is about as intelligent an argument as my, “If I carry an umbrella it won’t rain because I always get caught in the rain without one,” but (until now) I would never mention that publicly because I know it’s idiotic.

As is Bryan Fischer.

Here are his comments, thanks to Kyle Mantyla at Right Wing Watch:

Will America’s young women be just a bit more likely to experiment with lesbianism now that JCPenney is mainstreaming it? Too any objective observer, the answer must be yes. Is this a good thing? To any objective observer, the answer must be no.

Research has indicated that lesbians suffer from increased levels of depression, suicidal ideation, substance abuse, breast cancer and vaginal diseases compared to heterosexual women.

Thus what JCPenney has done, by increasing, even if ever so slightly, the chances that young women will experiment with this behavior will turn out to be a tragic thing for some. JCPenney will have to share some culpability for that.

What Fischer actually should be saying because it would be much closer to the truth is that less women will suffer from depression, suicidal ideation, substance abuse, breast cancer and vaginal diseases, because Ellen DeGeres has been hired by JC Penney.

You see, Bryan, Ellen has done an amazing job of getting people otherwise unfamiliar with homosexuals to become familiar with homosexuals. And what scares the hell out of you, Bryan, is that, when people meet and get to know us, they generally realize that we’re really no different from themselves.

That’s what keeps Bryan Fischer up at night.

Truth of the matter and research that Fischer so ignorantly points to is not that “lesbians suffer from increased levels of depression, suicidal ideation, substance abuse, breast cancer and vaginal diseases compared to heterosexual women,” because they are lesbians, but research shows that whatever increased suffering from those illnesses and diseases is directly related to their fear or uncomfortableness with seeking medical help early enough, because they are concerned about sharing their sexual orientation with medical professionals.

As health writer Amanda Chin explains about the research, “lesbian and bisexual women are more than twice as likely as heterosexual women to report fair or poor health after having cancer.”

However, the findings do not necessarily mean that being gay, lesbian or bisexual increases risk of cancer, said study researcher Ulrike Boehmer, of the Boston University School of Public Health.

Rather, access to care, support from others, other diseases and lifestyle are likely factors that could explain the findings, Boehmer said.

And one of the reasons they are uncomfortable with that situation is because of people like Bryan Fischer, who make sure that there is a segment of the population which demonizes homosexuals and ensures that our very core relationships, like family and marriage, are made impossible, which is what Fischer does for a living.

Now who’s sick, Bryan?

everydaylesbian February 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm

If we are at a greater risk to be sick it is not because we are lesbians! It is because the government,churches and the media stress us out everyday with (no nice word ,sorry) B.S. like this!

everyoneequal February 8, 2012 at 3:05 pm

You have GOT to be kidding me. No one "tries out lesbianism" as if it were a pair of jeans. It is this kind of CRAP that makes this world take two steps back. You're the minority if you believe this BS. You won't go far in life.. believe me. Utterly disgusting. Ellen stands for equality, humanitarianism, kindness and happiness. You would rather see a couple like Josh Powell who killed his kids this weekend? Is THAT a better home life situation? Some psycho married to a woman who kills, is better than a same sex couple who love each other and make this world a better place? REALLY?

mdeppe February 8, 2012 at 7:45 pm

You are so right Mr. Fischer!!! The fact that Ellen has an extremely successful television program, career, and has millions of fans was not enough for me to convert to lesbianism. However, now that she has become the spokesperson for JC Penny, I'm ready to grab my "I want to be a lesbian" sign and shove my way to the front of the line!! In addition, I have already prepared myself for the future by selecting a rafter in my basement that I can successfully swing from when my depression becomes too overwhelming to deal with! Mr. Fischer, you have insulted all women in general!! You are insinuating that we would let our sexuality be influenced by the fact that Ellen became a spokesperson for JC Penny. REALLY? Ellen brings some humanity into our world. Hatred and bigotry takes a lot of energy but, sadly, there will always be people in this world who are more than willing to take the time to keep these toxic emotions thriving!! As for Ellen — YOU GO GIRL!!!

813quiet February 8, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Look, David Badash means well, but here's what is fundamentally wrong with this opinion piece – it gives an iota of credibility to the rantings of a lunatic and a small ignorant subgroup of deeply disassociated people. Their argument doesn't deserve our ire. This Fischer fella and others like him are the people who shouldn't be representing JC Penney, mainstream America, or human beings in general. They're the ones we want to keep away from our kids. For the record, I think Ellen is adorable and fun. She makes you wish she was your best friend. I'm straight and I'm jealous of Portia. I have no idea what Ellen's sexual preference has to do with being a JC Penney spokesperson – is she going to be talking enthusiastically about vaginas or, I dunno, dry humping the girl mannequins in this job? Nope. Is she going to be bright, fun, and joyful? Pretty much. We should all be as happy as Ellen, we should all be as happy in our relationships as she and Portia seem to be. I thnk they're great role models. Lowe's made a stupid decision to bend to a small group of vocal bigots when it dropped ads from a Muslim American television program. I sure do hope JC Penney doesn't do anything so stupid. If you ask me, Ellen just gave JC Penney a touch of class.

David Badash February 8, 2012 at 9:20 pm

As lovely as it would be to stick our heads in the sand and pretend people like Bryan Fischer don't exist, they do. Ignoring them does not make them go away nor does it give them less credibility. The simple fact is Fischer works for the AFA wich has a $14 million annual budget, 180 radio stations across 40 states and reaches millions of people daily. Trust me, my bringing to light his crazy beliefs neither emboldens him nor gives him credibility. What it does is expose his ignorance and hate and gets more people on the right side of the argument.

MSch808111 February 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Let's see … what to do today? Watch Ellen, go shopping at JCPenney. And gee, then I think I'll try being a lesbian because I've watched Ellen and shopped at JCPenney. Then I'll go take some Prozac and get a mammogram because I'll be at greater risk for depression and breast cancer because I've watched Ellen, shopped at JCPenney at took a shot at being a lesbian.
What a jackass.

sandyc954 February 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Wow, now there we see the definition of wack a doodle
There is so much paranoia in the right wing repertoire

psuedok February 28, 2012 at 2:27 am

I can do nothing but laugh. How do these people make it up so far in society, that their stupid comments make news?
Badge Society LGBT Forum

elenaroze February 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm

The issue isn't a question of homosexuality it is a question of rights-our 1st amendment rights to be, to act, to do, to exist-I am a white midwestern middle class heterosexual and this scares the hell out of me-if the AFA and its affiliates succeed in taking away anyone's rights for whatever reason then what will be next? My daughter's rights to birth control? My right to believing in Judaism? My daughter's right to be an athiest? This isn't a question of sexual preference anymore–this is a question of 1st amendment rights. The homosexuals of America need to unite not in their "homosexuality" but in their basic rights as a human being to vote, to adopt, to marry, to buy, to sell, to exist in the same freedoms that all people in America have. This was Hitler's agenda. Don't let their "religiosity" fool you.

lepidopteryx March 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I've seen Ellen's JC Penney ads, and all I heard her talk about was JC Penney's merchandise. Not a word about sex – they're retail ads, not personal ads. How exactly is hearing Ellen talk about a white sale going to turn me into a lesbian?