by Jean Ann Esselink on August 16, 2013

in ENDA,Jean Ann Esselink,News

Post image for Marine War Hero Eric Alva Excoriates A Texas Crowd Who Booed Him Because He Is Gay

Sometimes it seems like the entire state of Texas is becoming a hate group.

Marine Staff Sergeant Eric Alva was the first American to be injured in the Iraq war. He stepped on a landmine and lost his leg. That sort of sacrifice is usually honored by people on the right side of politics, but no more. Now, you have to be the “right kind” of soldier to garner their gratitude for losing a leg in service to America, and gay is a deal killer.

LISTEN: Secret Audio Reveals San Antonio City Councilwoman’s Extreme Homophobia And Anti-Gay Strategies

Wednesday evening, the San Antonio City Council held a public hearing to consider adding sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and veteran status to their non-discrimination law. Two hundred people signed up to speak about the prospective changes, both for and against. Among the speakers? Eric Alva.

Outside, another 300 people, most dressed in blue, gathered to pray for God to deliver them from the threat of losing their right to discriminate. They prayed in English and then they prayed in Spanish, to make sure God understood their predicament. The city was considering requiring them treat all of his children with equal dignity, not just the straight ones like he put in his plan. How dare they!

“We need our prayers to touch our council members. Let them vote ‘no’ to this ordinance, and ‘yes’ to the reign of the kingdom of God.”

- Pastor James Flowers

A man identified as a member of the Jesus Crew (I believe this refers to a street ministry and not the original apostles) told a reporter from My San Antonio:

“We see this as an infringement on our freedom of speech, our freedom of religion; and to impose penalties? Where is the equality there?”

Inside, the council chamber was filled to capacity. Eric Alva, who lives in San Antonio, stepped to the microphone to speak about the protections under consideration, one of which would make it illegal to discriminate against a military vet because of his service.

As soon as Eric mentioned he was gay, the crowd broke into boos.

Eric pressed forward with his prepared remarks in support of the additions to the non-discrimination ordinance. But before leaving the stage, he looked out at the audience and addressed the “religious” detractors who had shown such disrespect.

“To all you people that preach the word of God, shame on you because God loves me, like the day I laid bleeding on the sands of Iraq and that’s why he saved me.”

Later, Eric talked about the experience on his Facebook page, where friends and strangers alike left him apologies and messages of support.

“Well I just left city council chambers and I feel like crying. I have never seen a city so divided and hateful towards each other. All of man kind should be ashamed. I already spoke and even some of the religious groups even boo’ed me as I spoke. Such disrespect as they preach the word of God.”

The council will debate the non-discrimination additions August 28. Pastor Flowers is already organizing another prayer vigil, in case God missed this one, or forgets. A final vote on the additions is scheduled for September 5.

eric alva2

Photos from Eric Alva’s Facebook Page

tncrmJean Ann Esselink is a straight friend to the gay community. Proud and loud Liberal. Closet writer of political fiction. Black sheep agnostic Democrat from a conservative Catholic family. Living in Northern Oakland County Michigan with Puck the Wonder Beagle.

Follow me on Twitter as @Uncucumbered or friend me on Facebook.

jerzygirl45 August 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm

It's just shameful the way all of these so-called "Christians" are acting in such blatantly hateful and non-christian ways

bndkllr2 August 16, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Are these religious idiots EVER going to sit down and SHUT UP?

rainey13 August 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Not until the majority, who find this type of behavior beyond reprehensible, MAKE them sit down and shut up.

barbonine October 22, 2013 at 11:52 am

I'M READY!!!!1!!

foxymoxy73 August 16, 2013 at 2:42 pm

No soldier, no matter what you think of his personal life, deserves to be booed. All of those people should be ashamed of themselves just for that alone. Doesn't matter at all if he happens to be gay.

I am less and less surprised about some Christian groups opposing equality as I look through history because they've done it all through history. Some opposed Civil Rights for African-Americans just as some opposed abolishing slavery. Some opposed equal rights for women.

There are those that live the gospel of love and tolerance for all and some that live parts of Mosaic Law. Typically the ones that live the gospel of love win out in the end.

BJLincoln August 16, 2013 at 3:37 pm

How un-American can you get! Booing a soldier?!

Those who booed in the name of "God" are the prime example of why we need anti-discrimination laws. I don't know who's "God" they follow but it's not the one my Christian friends follow. I am Pagan.
The fact the Bible is being twisted into so many different interpretations and some are dangerous to a diverse society, is also reason for all religion to be separate from government and sequestered to places of worship and home.

sdfrenchie August 17, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I just finished reading the comments on a page about how terribly Americans treat Muslim American women. The comments got me so angry I lit into them like I've never lit into anyone. Damned bunch of punks. They act like Christians have never committed any heinous acts. Every single war has Christians killing other people just like any other religion involved in war. It was just sickening to read the crap they were saying, and it just proved to me that America hasn't changed an iota since I was a teenager in the 1960s. In fact, it's gotten worse, especially in the past couple of decades with the replacement to the Moral Majority now sitting within our government. That's going to end, no matter what the polls say because we have to work to stop these imbeciles before they do any more harm.

Towanda August 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm

And to think, this is not the first instance of booing a gay soldier because of his sexual orientation (Republican debate, anyone?). It amazes me that a person's service for their country can be negated in some people's minds because of their sexual orientation. That is nothing but shameful. At least Alva was able to get the last word in this situation.

On another note, I struggle to see how people's first amendment rights are violated by passing inclusive non-discrimination ordinances. Nothing in these new laws stops people from expressing an opinion or worshiping (and not worshiping) as they please.

samuelthiel August 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm

They not only want to worship as they please, they want to be able to express hate and promulgate suppression of minority groups – and gays are convenient because of their trumped up bible verses in Leviticus. If they followed all the other injunctions in that same book of the bible they would all have to stone each other to death. Why? Because that kind of fanatic behavior is always a smokescreen for illicit activities. People who are secure in their beliefs feel no need to persecute others who do not share them. I'm from San Antonio and I am ashamed of there being such evil in the name of religion in my home town. It was not always like that! Moderate Christians please stand up and put these people in their place!

Serenifly August 16, 2013 at 8:28 pm

If there were a god why didn't he prevent him for stepping onto the mine in the first place? But no, he allowed that and then "saved" him. What rubbish.

rini6 August 17, 2013 at 11:54 am

I agree that the idea that "god saved me" is ridiculous and insulting to those who died, I do support him and find the homophobia of the crowd disgusting.

stevewayles August 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm

To Marine Staff Sargent, Eric Alva:
On behalf of Open and Affirming and Progressive Clergy and Churches, I apologize to you for the cruelty of and unGodly behavior of my Fundamentalist and Evangelical brothers and sisters.
They read the Bible selectively and they read it literally – No inspired author ever expects people will read inspired scriptures literally or out of context.
You, nor any other child of God, deserves such vile treatment from those who ought to know better. If you could find it in your heart to pray for their forgiveness, you would be showing yourself to be a far better follower of Jesus than they have proven themselves.
Thank you for your service. Thank you for your sacrifice. Thank you for your honesty. Thank you for claiming your God-given sexuality as a gift. And thank you for standing up at the City Council to help others who experience discrimination. Bad things happen to good people all the time. Two bad things have happened to you – the war injury and the discrimination and abuse. You have handled all things with dignity and grace and honor. Well done, thou good and faithful servant! Rev Dr Stephen Wayles, retired

Peter Blaise November 10, 2013 at 12:51 am

Thank you for this.

No more second class citizens, ever, please.

PugglesRule August 16, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Seems like a lot of so-called "Christians" are seriously butt-hurt about anything that might take away their ability (they think it's their right) to discriminate and treat others badly simply for who they are, who they love or what they believe.

To Staff Sgt. Alva – I'm sorry you were treated so badly by people in your home town. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. You are 100 times the human being that your detractors are.

Ceadrus August 17, 2013 at 7:02 am

I am a Gay Lutheran Minister and I want to publicly offer my Support and Congratulations to Sergeant Alva! We Lutherans focus on God's Love, Grace and Mercy for ALL PEOPLE. We believe in the in inherent dignity of all of God's Children which include GLBTQQ (Queer or Questioning) people.

I am nauseated by "so called Christians" who do not understand Jesus' INCLUSIVE Love for all people. PERIOD. I pray for Blessings and Peace for you and invite you to our church, where you will most certainly be treated with respect dignity and know you have a place at our table. Let me add that I admire and respect you for your bravery. I am proud of you. I am so very sorry for those ignorant people who spewed hatred in the name of Jesus… THAT is shameful and Blasphemous!

God LOVES you and all LGBTQQ (and straight people too). We love you (offer our Respect, honor, dignity, compassion, care and kindness) too. You are welcome at our church.

Pastor Michael Meyer
St Philip Lutheran Church
Trenton, Michigan

CAProud August 17, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Thank you for your support.
I'm a former Motown Michigander (don't miss those horrid winters)

labman57 August 17, 2013 at 10:46 am

Ah, once again, social conservatives give a graphic demonstration of their perverted interpretation of "patriotism".
Furthermore, booing an injured vet is clearly the Christian thing to do.

barbonine August 17, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Texas…no surprise there.

valentinelogar August 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm

For those of us Texans who do not feel this way, know we are grateful for your service and proud of you. Shame on them.

alphacattt August 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I am a Christian from Texas. . . . . That being said I am very sorry about the individuals who are Christian and do nothing but hurt others. I am also sorry for the poor track record Christians have throughout history.

even though you probably don't meet much loving Christians anymore I still hope you keep in remembrance that not all Christians are like this.

For every Christian that was on the wrong side of history there were Christians on the right side.

CAProud August 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm

This is discusting!
This maimed in combate marine fought for our freedom and deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

oylchick August 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Our entire state is nothing but an embarrassment,. I can remember when people were proud to be from Texas, you couldn't shut us up once we started talking about the great state. Today, thanks to "W" and now the rest of the Peanut Gallery, I am deeply, deeply ashamed of the good "Christians" of this state.

pauln2901 August 17, 2013 at 1:31 pm

As someone who has worked with Americans abroad, this sort of behaviour is why some nationalities are wary of Americans. The intolerance and bigotry to allow this "pure" religious "christians" to boo a maimed veteran is beyond belief. Shame on Texas!

samuelthiel August 17, 2013 at 6:09 pm

People are saying shame on Texas. I say shame on the non-fanatic christians for not standing up and putting these fanatics in their place. If there were any sense in the whole phenomenon, there would be a movement to disallow BY LAW the hate groups to call themselves 'christian' because they are NOT. A christian would not use the bible, which is regarded by that religion as the word of their god, selectively to support her/his own personal bigotries. A christian would not go out of his way to express hate toward someone of another faith. You don't see jewish people picketing christian churches – and they would even have a reason to do so! A christian would follow the teachings of Jesus – none of which are hate and discrimination. So what is left? Call them out and require that they go by another name. It would be in the interest of christians who do not want to be associated with such low-life characters as these – who would boo at an injured veteran – for what? His private life (and I hope for his sake that a guy with only one leg still has a chance at love!) would not even be a topic in a rational society! My respect to Staff Sgt. Alva – he is courageous, not only in combat but in the face of scorn from the very people for whom he was doing military service. Would any of these fanatics still hang on their beliefs if they lost a leg?

kkdragonlord August 18, 2013 at 2:39 am

This is why anyone who would call themselves a "moderate christian" should support Separation of Church and State. As long as the voice of the orthodox is louder there can be no distinction between them.

carlgt1 August 19, 2013 at 4:07 pm

the US-variety of Christianity seems as warm & loving & peaceful as the Islamists….

DarthEVaderCheney August 20, 2013 at 11:31 pm

As a retired Baptist minister, I observed these and all other right wing hypocrites Sunday after Sunday, backslapping each other on Sunday, and back-stabbing each other Monday through Saturday. Don't kid yourselves, these phonies are right in the cross hairs of God's love and the misery they feel is going to make them 100 times more miserable than they've ever made others… and then, they'll be left behind! Good riddance to the wormwood and gall people!
Dakotahgeo, M.Div. Pastor/Chaplain

coastie721 September 7, 2013 at 12:29 am

well most of those who booed couldn't even make it through Marine bootcamp…. and would be afraid to be dropped into battle, they would run….

he is nicer than I would be… I am so sick of this and these hypocrites thinking they are better and our relationships don't count….. been together for 24 years, going to get married, so we can apply for our Veteran benefits, we both are Veterans, but she can sign up for adding ones that she can't get….

we deserve the respect…. how dare they support the troops and then show so much hate…. why does gay people bother them so much, what has one gay person ever done to them…. it is 2013 time to get over thy self and grow up….. I am not a follower of any religion and to me the bible is a fairy tale, written by men who heard voices, today they are put on medication or have a long hospital stay….

sorry not trying to offend anyone and what the believe, but I grew up catholic and they are so messed up. that sheep thing they really got it down, stand, sit, kneel, don't think for you self… pouring religion down one's throat is a huge mistake…. looks more stories….

JamesG1989 December 5, 2013 at 3:24 am

You know, the one thing that really bothers me is that Christians look over so many passages in the Bible, and I am sure many of you have heard them, such as…you are not allowed to wear two kinds of fabric (I may be mistaken, but not far from the truth) it is considered a sin and it can lead to you being stoned to death. Also…one of my favorite passages in the Bible; Luke 6:37 Condemn not, if you wish not to be condemned, judge not, if you wish not to be judged and forgive if you with to be forgiven. I go to Church…they believe that God does not discriminate against those who may love people of the same gender, they also believe that you need to read between the lines of the Biblical passages and make your own assumption. They accept us all, whether we're gay, straight, bi-curious, lesbian or transgender. It is so WRONG!!!! Especially!!!! To boo A VERY BRAVE MAN WHO LOST HIS FUCKING LEG!!!! fighting to protect those he fought for. He deserves a Gold medal amongst other things. I am sending you all my love Alva.

Tommyfoot February 25, 2014 at 1:04 am

Well, it is Texas after all, is it not??

markinirvine March 3, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Hypocritical so-called "religious" people – you've just gotta love 'em, dontcha ?

Gordon32114 March 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm

First thing we need to do is shut them up with their own favorite misguided weapon.
Any man who has divorced his wife or any woman who has divorced and remarried needs to shut the hell up. That should take care of 50% of the hypocrites.
1 Corinthians 7:10-11
To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

RytWing April 18, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I would love to slap these idiots for dissing a solder who would fight for the safety of myself and my family, na i kinda want to hold em down while while we all do

(From a guy that is semi anti gay marriage, the semi meaning personally anti but believing Fed Law should allow, but also should not force the acceptance.) o yea im a republican also