Missouri Reverend’s ‘End Times’ Anti-Gay Speech Delivers A Huge Wallop

by David Badash on October 19, 2012

in News,Politics,Religion

Post image for Missouri Reverend’s ‘End Times’ Anti-Gay Speech Delivers A Huge Wallop

Springfield, Missouri, born and bred Reverend Phil Snyder of the Brentwood Christian Church delivered a warning of the “end times” and “disrupting God’s order” in his anti-gay speech before the Springfield city council, and delivered a huge wallop at the end. Snyder, who said, “any accurate reading of the Bible should make it clear that gay rights goes against the word of God,” warned that “making special rights for gays and lesbians” would invite “the judgment of God upon our land… that will be characteristic of the last days.”

Rev. Snyder, who delivered this speech back in August during a public hearing to debate adding  “sexual orientation” to a non-discrimination ordinance, also said, “it’s not that we don’t care abut homosexuals, it’s that our rights will be taken away.”

His speech, which lasts less than three minutes, is hugely impactful, and must be heard to the end for its full effect.

Neetzan Zimmerman, writing at Gawker, notes “the bill was tabled by the council to allow for a ‘cooling down period,’ whatever that means.”

Regular readers will remember that this summer, Brad Pitt‘s mother, a Springfield, Missouri resident, wrote a letter to the editor of the Springfield, Missouri News-Leader accusing anyone who doesn’t vote for Mitt Romney of being “a liberal who supports the killing of unborn babies and same-sex marriage.”

Of course, also hailing from Missouri — where Rick Santorum beat Mitt Romney — is the infamous Todd Akin, who is currently losing to Senator Claire McCaskill in the polls.

Earlier this year, in April, the Missouri Republican author of a “Don’t Say Gay” bill said he felt misunderstood, and didn’t quite understand why people were upset, after GOP lawmakers supporting his bill compared same-sex marriage to bestiality.

Just a few weeks later, Missouri school board member Hardy Billington ran a newspaper ad in a local paper supporting the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. Billington’s ad falsely claimed that gay people die 10 to 30 years early, and claimed, falsely,that homosexuality is more deadly than cigarette smoking.

In August, Missouri voters decided that kids shouldn’t have to study evolution, climate change, or anything gay — in fact, anything the kids want to claim that violates their religious beliefs. In short, if you can say with a straight face that geometry or P.E. violates your religious beliefs in the state of Missouri, you’re off the hook.

God bless Reverend Phil Snyder. He’s a brave soul with a lot of work to do.

Hat tip: Neetzan Zimmerman at Gawker

CastleRockBear October 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm

WHAT an idiot!…But that's Missouri, that's why my hateful mother is the way she is…Good for her and the people of Missouri…it looks like you will get what you deserve by even listenig to such hateful BULLSH*T…and using God's name to do it…SHAME! God see's your hate!

Alex_Parrish October 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm

A perfect example of why it is time to stop subsidizing churches with our tax dollars. Let him have his religious bigotry but don't ask me to pay for it. Get his damned religion out of my rights. He is free to hate me all he wants but not to curtail my civil rights. I don't wish bad things on him — I just hope he has the chance to experience the result of his hatred. I would remind him that his legislators put their hand on the bible and swore to uphold the constitution — not the other way around.

GaelicWench October 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Wish I could give you dozens of thumbs up but the site won't let me. :-P You're right in every way. I've become so disillusioned with churches and a number of the parishioners who allow themselves to become assimilated. Maybe the word is "disgusted." I still believe, but that is between myself and my God.

These people will all meet their makers someday. I also firmly believe in Karma.

Robroberts2009 October 19, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Alex, did ypu watch the video???? Perhaps if you did, you would get the joke.

Qwerty50 October 20, 2012 at 12:32 am

Listening to him gave me a much-needed chuckle. "Sorry, I must have brought the wrong notes with me… these notes are from an issue from 100 years ago, from those supporting segregation."

I've always suspected that politicians and others who spout off against marriage equality could have gotten their speeches pre-written just by finding speeches of past bigots about misogny, abolition, women's rights – then doing a simple search and replace. Same tired old arguments.

Do we not learn anything from history?

cipher October 20, 2012 at 7:05 am

A very brave young man. It can't be easy to make a statement like this in Missouri.

bill_lynn October 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

Brilliant!

Alex_Parrish October 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I am embarrassed to say that I did not watch the video. Not all subscribers find video post to be useful. when I read the full transcript ON ANOTHER SITE I became aware of the joke. Frankly, I am a little annoyed at how this was posted with only a portion of the transcript but omitting any reference to the necessary punch-line. I will admit my culpability in falling-for it but operators of this site should realize that video is not always convenient for everyone reading it. I generally don't post about videos I haven't seen, but rely on transcripts where posted. To post only a portion of this was a bit misleading. Mea culpa. But, editors who play jokes on their readership when it isn't April Fool's Day run the risk of losing the confidence of their readership. Is the joke worth that?