Nike-Sponsored Bible-Quoting Top Boxer Slams Obama: ‘Gays Must Be Put To Death’

by David Badash on May 15, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Civil Rights,News,Religion,Sports

Post image for Nike-Sponsored Bible-Quoting Top Boxer Slams Obama: ‘Gays Must Be Put To Death’

Editor’s note 05.16.2012 9:55 AM: Journalist who interviewed Pacquiao now says Pacquiao didn’t say gays “must be put to death,” he just included the Leviticus quote to illustrate what the boxer said. Read our story: “Pacquiao Interviewer: Boxer Didn’t Say Gays Must Be Put To Death, I Wrote That.”

A Nike-sponsored Bible-quoting top boxer who recently became a lawmaker in the Philippines, Manny Pacquiao, reportedly says gays “must be put to death” and is throwing punches at U.S. President Barack Obama for his comments last week in support of same-sex marriage. Pacquiao, who reportedly met with President Obama in the Oval Office last year, quoted Leviticus 20:13 and other biblical scriptures in an interview with the Examiner’s Granville Ampong, saying, “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

The Examiner’s Ampong adds:

“God’s words first … obey God’s law first before considering the laws of man,” says Pacquiao, addressing Obama’s pronoucement on legalizing same-sex marriage during an exclusive interview Friday night with the National Conservative Examiner in his residence at the Palazzo Complex  in Los Angeles here in California.

Engaging a radical shift as manifested by his insights shared during Bible studies which lasted more than one hour, around 10:00 p.m., with a song and his substantive prayer, Pacquiao counsels people to “just believe” what the Scripture says.

Pacquiao’s directive for Obama calls societies to fear God and not to promote sin, inclusive of same-sex marriage and cohabitation, notwithstanding what Leviticus 20:13 has been pointing all along: “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

Pacquiao, bearing a conservative stance on the Reproductive Bill which is still pending in the Philippine Congress for approval even after contemptuous debates, believes the sweeping campaign of Obama favoring the gays and lesbians to legally marry is nothing more than a direct attack on the moral society and against the creative power and will of God.

Pacquiao continues: “God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other.”

“It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of Old.”

Nike has sponsored Manny Pacquiao since at least 2008 if not before. In 2009 Nike hosted a large Pacquiao sportswear collection and sporting event (image, top). Pacquiao-branded Nike sportswear is currently available at the Nike store online, and there are several Nike-branded advertising videos of Manny Pacquiao, some, like the one below, with him with other Nike-sponsored athletes, like Kobe Bryant, Cristiano Ronaldo, Roger Federer, Maria Sharapova, and Xiang Liu.

Forbes named Pacquiao the No. 4 most-influential boxer of 2012.

Of course, Pacquiao is on Facebook, and is currently featured at the top of Nike Boxing’s Facebook page.

Lou Gagliardi May 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Well, he WILL not have my support anymore.

danniboi07 May 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Manny Pacquiao never said gays should be put to death. This whole debacle is growing way too big due to overzealous journalists who want nothing more than to start smear campaigns. It's sad, but it's only because we love a train wreck so much.

Lou Gagliardi May 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I would rather wait to hear it from him than anyone else.

Whether he said it or not, for me, doesn't matter. If he's anti-LGBT he loses my support regardless. Someone–whether him or another author–using the Bible to hide their bigotry is what's wrong to me.

Scott_Rose May 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Clearly, Nike has to drop this monster as a company spokesperson.

Alex_Parrish May 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Last time I looked adultery was a capital offense too — so lets put adulterers to death too; that includes you, Pacquiao. The bible also forbids tattoos. What an ignorant backward jerk. Too many punches to the head i guess.

bulok24 May 15, 2012 at 9:05 pm

im filipino and am dissapointed with manny….. well hes stink more than to gay….. you dont even know guys manny is elementary graduate thats why he is narrow minded… he cheated to hes wife, he have child with another woman… MANNY, BEFORE YOU TEACH TO OTHER TEACH URSELF FIRST OK?

HelloMaryKitty May 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

ahahhahhahhaa! Total PR FAIL for Nike! Just SUCK IT!

usorthem3 May 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Nike should cut all ties with this guy since he thinks all gay people should be put to death. Tattoo’d much you hypocrite, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.” — Leviticus 19:28
God must smite you dead as you walk down a street but instead God is off killing 35,000 people today because he doesn’t want to them to have food to live. Catholics need to clean their own house of child rapist before thinking they are HIGH & MIGHTY to control everyone. Just so you know Manny, this is the USA, marriage licenses are issued by the state, not the church. NO religion is necessary for a marriage to be legal, valid or recognized. I could give a rats ass what the Pope thinks since per the 1st Amendment of the USA, neither he nor the Vatican create law in this country.

VonLmo May 16, 2012 at 1:32 am

pacquino has not yet come to grips w the reality of fillipino life. poverty has truned the country into a sex tourism destination. prostitution is epidemic there. has he a plan? has he a clue?

sbhp_sam May 16, 2012 at 2:18 am

he bans reproductive health. now the gays. bible/religion should not be used as an explanation or justification. its irrational and illogical. he should not shove his beliefs to us. he has no respect for dversity. anyone has a right to follow any religion and to have one or none. AND! irnonically, he engaged in extra marital affairs!

jcericsson May 16, 2012 at 3:25 am

Thank you, Manny Pacquiao, for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law.
When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I too simply remind them
that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination … End of
debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of
God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female,
provided they are from neighboring nations.
A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians.
Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus
21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15: 19-24.
The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take
offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors.
They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2
clearly states he should be put to death.
Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do
it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.
I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a
defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses.
Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around
their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27.
How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different
crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments
made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).
He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we
go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them?
Lev.24:10-16.
Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do
with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable
expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan

TurboKitty May 16, 2012 at 4:00 am

Love knows no color, no race, no creed, no religion, no gender … love is love and the sooner that everyone figures this out, the better off we'll all be …

Robroberts2009 May 16, 2012 at 7:43 am

I posted on his facebook page that if I ever see him I will punch him in the face and that he should leave the United States as we don't welcome bigots here.

Huntercgo May 16, 2012 at 8:48 am

Manny who?

weesol May 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

HE NEVER SAID IT. (the following is from the original Pacquiao interviewer/writer — can't post links here)

Ampong clarified that Pacquiao was not quoted saying the verse, nor did the boxer invoke it during their interview.

“As we see, nowhere in my supposition and integration of my interview with Pacquiao did I mention that Pacquiao recited this Leviticus 20:13 nor did I imply that Pacquiao had quoted such,” he said in his Examiner report.

Ampong said he merely used the verse to remind “how God made it clear in the Old Testament time that such practice of same-sex marriage is detestable and strictly forbidden.”

He also blamed biased writers for twisting his column.

Ampong was referring to USA Today’s Tom Weir and LA Weekly’s Dennis Romero, who both reportedly linked Pacquiao to the Leviticus verse.

“I hereby demand both Weir and Romero to apologize to Pacquiao,” he said.

Ampong himself apologized to the reading public and the Filipino boxing superstar.

“I sincerely apologize for the confusion my column has caused,” he said.

Lou Gagliardi May 16, 2012 at 11:29 am

Why would I want to do that? I don't believe any homosexual is a "hipster", though I do think they're cool before it was cool to be cool.

(I know he's a troll but still)

weesol May 16, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Are you going to correct your negligent misquote or not, Mr. Badash? Anyone with a high school reading comprehension can see that the original article that you've shown here does not attribute that quote to Manny Pacquiao. Did you read it yourself when you inserted it into your article?

Why have you still not changed your headline? Still haven't done enough damage to the man's character with your shoddy journalism?

David Badash May 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm

It was not "negligent."

We have appended the story appropriately.

Apparently, in your world view, the writers and editors at USA Today, The Village Voice, and L.A. Weekly — all of whom reported the exact same story in the exact same manner, before The New Civil Rights Movement did — are all shoddy journalists.

Sorry, Charlie. Ampong can't write.

Frankly, we are VERY careful here about facts. And, to be very honest, when we get them incorrect, we correct them as soon as we know we're incorrect. And we apologize if appropriate. Which is far more than USA Today did — they didn't bother to correct heir story until last night or today.

Our credibility and our reputation are the most important assets we have, and we would never gamble them.

Let's place the blame where it belongs. And where all the other media outlets agree: Ampong.