NOM On DOMA: “We Have Not Yet Begun To Fight.” No, Seriously, They Said This

by David Badash on February 23, 2011

in Bigotry Watch,Discrimination,Legal Issues,Marriage,News

Post image for NOM On DOMA: “We Have Not Yet Begun To Fight.” No, Seriously, They Said This

The National Organization for Marriage (NOM) released a statement today from Brian Brown, their president, titled, “NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR MARRIAGE CONDEMNS PRESIDENT OBAMA’S EXTRAORDINARY EFFORT TO SABOTAGE DOMA DEFENSE.”

(Brian thinks when he types in all-caps it’s cute, or it shows that he’s really, really, really mad. Or something.)

“We have not yet begun to fight for marriage,” Brian Brown, president of NOM, said.

(I wonder when Brian woke up thinking he was John Paul Jones?)

“The Democrats are responding to their election loss with a series of extraordinary, extra-constitutional end runs around democracy, whether it’s fleeing the state in Wisconsin and Indiana to prevent a vote, or unilaterally declaring homosexuals a protected class under our Constitution, as President Obama just did.”

(Obviously, the President is to “blame” for the “problem” in Wisconsin. And I guess the word of the day around NOM’s office is “end-run,” as Maggie used it today when she went so ballistic on Fox News that she exposed her own duplicity. But I digress.)

“We call on the House to intervene to protect DOMA, and to tell the Obama administration they have to respect the limits on their power. This fight is not over, it has only begun!”

(Brian thinks if he uses an exclamation point after a sentence it shows that he MEANS BUSINESS!)

Anyway, Brian blathers on, says something about “one man and one woman,” then Maggie, NOM’s Chair (and reader of The New Civil Rights Movement, who likes to leave comments,) adds something about, “truly shocking,” “extra-constitutional power grab,” “defection of duty,” and ends with, “powerful political special interests,” which, I assume, Maggie knows could include her, right?

You know, it took NOM only six hours from the time the news was announced early this afternoon, to sending out a fundraising email, (“manna from heaven,” to quote our friend Scott Wooledge,) which I got at 6:42 PM tonight. The email, from Brian, says,

“Dear Marriage Supporters,

This may be the most important email I’ve ever sent to you. Please read, take action and forward this message to at least 5 friends immediately.”

(Cue: “Lions and tigers and bears. Oh My!)

Good job folks!

And that answers my question.

RJS February 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Cliche battle cries ftw

Dave AlmostEqual Hershey February 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Well, Maggot Gallagher DID say "any idiot" would be able to win the DOMA challenge. Lets just see how good HER idiots are!

Scott Wooledge February 24, 2011 at 11:02 am

Sucks to be them!

Dakotahgeo February 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I'm getting to the point that, whenever Same-Sex Marriage issues draw the comments of NOM, I just start laughing. They are so out of the game plan they're not even in the correct arena. I'm sure the future citizens will look back on this era as the true horseless and buggi-less era that this country has encountered. (And here I thought we were so far from the "wild west" scenario!"
Dakotahgeo

weshlovrcm February 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm

We got a preview of NOM’s “fighting spirit” this past summer in Indianapolis when they permitted a follower to display a poster calling for the hanging of God’s gay children. This is NOM’s version of “morality” and “tradition.” The problem for radical anti-gay pressure group NOM is that they are trying to do an end run around the Constitution by redefining it state-by-state to remove the rights and religious liberty of pro-equality Americans. In Iowa, they do an end run around our judical system by forcing out all judges who refuse to kow-tow to the immoral anti-gay agenda. The good news is that NOM’s increasing desperation will only prove our points and hasten the coming day of equality for ALL Americans. Radical anti-gay activists can live as they like. They cannot, however, redefine the Constitution for all the rest of us.

Marcuscassius February 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm

If I have the right to define everyone elses marriage, do I have the right to take away the vote? How about allowing women to work? May I beat my wife if she disagrees with me? How about your wife?Any woman? Why is some self appointed group defining what anyone else does? This seems like a very simple thiing.Let me live and marry whom I wish or I'll interfere in your life.